Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken
Skip the take-out and make this restaurant-inspired dish at home. It's an easy recipe that is a healthier twist on one of our favorite take-out dishes. Serve it with broccoli and rice on the side or wrap the chicken and sauce up in tortillas with some shredded cheese.
Servings: 8 -10
For the Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch or flour
For the Chicken
- 6 to 8 raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a bowl whisk sugar, vinegar, chicken broth, ketchup, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a medium bowl until well combined. Set aside.
You can prepare the chicken in this dish one of two ways.
Place the whole chicken breasts in a 9x13 baking dish. Season the chicken with the garlic salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over chicken and place the baking dish in the oven. Bake it for 1 1/2 hours (turn the chicken one to two times) or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and dark in color.
Remove the baking dish from the and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes and then cut it into cubes. Add the chicken back to the sauce and serve.
- If you like a spicy kick, add some sriracha to the finished dish.
- When you mix up the sauce, the consistency will be light and the color will be bright, but don’t worry. It will darken and thicken up as it bakes in the oven.
- If your sauce isn’t thick enough once it’s baked, just remove the chicken and add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the sauce and whisk to combine. You can do this right in the baking dish.
- This recipe makes a lot of sauce, which we love. Once the chicken is ready to serve, I will transfer the extra sauce to a small mason jar to have on the side so everyone can add more if they want it.
- There's enough sauce to cook up to eight chicken breasts, which is what is included in the nutrition estimate. If you use less chicken, the estimate will vary.
- The finished dish holds well. Often, I make it early and cover it with foil to keep it warm until everyone is ready to eat.
Serving: 0.13of recipe | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 1210mg | Potassium: 520mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 111IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg