Pumpkin Spice Buttercream Frosting
This buttercream frosting is perfect for all of your fall cupcakes, cakes and other desserts. It's rich, creamy, and flavored with fall spices.
- 1/2 cup room temperature salted butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice seasoning
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, shortening and vanilla until combined. Add the pumpkin puree and mix to combine.
Slowly blend in the sugar, one cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add the heavy cream (or milk) and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy. You may need to add more sugar or milk until you find the right consistency.
If you are not going to use the frosting right away, keep it covered until you are ready to use it.