These delicious Zucchini Brownies made with fall’s favorite squash will be made all year long.
Rich, decadent, and topped with a chocolate frosting – these easy zucchini brownies are a must-make whenever you can get your hands on fresh zucchini.
I owe, once again, a big “thank you” to my friend, Erin, who gifted me enough zucchini to make these amazing zucchini brownies plus a few other recipes.
I love brownies, they are one of my weaknesses. Really anything with chocolate is a weakness of mine and using fresh zucchini to make them is a really brilliant idea.
Zucchini is loaded with water and it gives the brownies the most wonderful texture. You can’t taste the veggie at all and I’ve kid-tested that fact – the first time my band of kiddos tried a zucchini brownie they had no clue they were made with a vegetable.
This recipe comes courtesy of my Aunt Patty. I found the recipe in my mom’s recipe tin and I couldn’t resist. It’s an eggless zucchini brownie recipe and a great way to use up zucchini. It sounded much better than zucchini noodles!
I whipped up a batch but instead of adding nuts, which is what her recipe called for, I added Ghirardelli chocolate chips. YUM! Then to make this even more amazing, I topped them with my dad’s brownie frosting.
I’ve made this recipe with garden-fresh zucchini and ones from the store. For some reason, the garden ones produce a fudgier brownie while the store ones make a more cake-like brownie. I think the fresh garden ones have a lot more moisture which helps make the fudgy texture – either way, they are both delicious!
- Grated zucchini
- Baking soda
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
How do you make Zucchini Brownies?
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the zucchini, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, oil, cocoa, and chocolate chips.
The batter will be very thick and somewhat dry so don’t worry. The magic happens while the brownies are in the oven – the zucchini will release all of it’s moisture so the brownies are perfect when they are baked.
Pour the batter into a 9×13″ baking pan. Bake the brownies for 22 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool them on a baking rack.
To make the frosting melt butter in a bowl in the microwave. Once it’s melted, add the vanilla and buttermilk. Heat the mixture for 30 seconds in the microwave, stir, and then repeat the heat and stir process three more times.
Stir in cocoa and powder sugar and mix until well combined. Place the bowl back in the microwave and heat the mixture for 30 seconds and then stir. Heat for another 30 seconds and stir, repeat one more time if needed until frosting is smooth and there are no clumps.
Pour the frosting over the cooled brownies and spread it into an even layer. Let frosting cool and harden before slicing the brownies.
These brownies are the best reason to start growing your own zucchini! Rich, fudgy, with that amazing frosting on top – delicious!
So get ready to whip up a batch of these zucchini brownies. They will have you making a trip to the Farmer’s Market this coming weekend. Or just find a friend with a garden, like my friend does, and she will make your day.
Enjoy! XOXO San
More Desserts with Zucchini
Looking for a few other ways to eat zucchini? Check out the following recipes:
- Triple Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Frosted Zucchini Chocolate Cake
- Zucchini Texas Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Pumpkin Zucchini Cake
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips optional
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 4 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, add all of the ingredients and mix until well combined. The batter will be thick and a little dry, which is okay.
- Pour into a 9×13 baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on baking rack.
- Once brownies are cooled prepare frosting.
- In a medium glass mixing bowl add butter and cover with a plate and heat butter for 1 minute in the microwave. Remove from microwave and remove lid. Stir in vanilla and buttermilk, place back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, stir, then heat for another 30 seconds, stir, heat for 30 seconds and stir and then heat for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir in cocoa and powder sugar, until well combined. Place back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, stir. Heat for another 30 seconds and stir, repeat 1 more time if needed, until frosting is smooth and there are no clumps. Pour over brownies, and spread evenly. Let frosting cool and harden.
- Cut and serve.