Fall just became unforgettable with this decadent Chocolate Pumpkin Cake.
This Chocolate Pumpkin Cake, aka Chocolate Harvest Cake, is layered with moist chocolate cake, pumpkin cream cheese filling, and a chocolate ganache. The best news is that it’s so straightforward you can make it on repeat all through the fall season.
This Chocolate Harvest Cake is in my Top 5 of chocolate cakes. I have a Top 10 list, but this is in my Top 5. It is easy to prepare – just 10 minutes to make the batter!
The pumpkin cream cheese filling and glaze are just as easy. It is a great dessert to serve any time of the year, but of course, fall was made so that we could serve this chocolaty pumpkin dream.
Years ago, I got this recipe from a friend who tore it out of a magazine while sitting at the doctor’s office, and since then, I have made this cake every year.
I still love looking at the copy she gave me; it has oil and chocolate stains. And even though the recipe will be here now, I can’t throw that piece of paper away; it brings back too many fond memories.
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- Vegetable oil
- Baking soda
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients
- Cream cheese
- Canned pumpkin
How to Make Chocolate Ganache
The finishing touch for this beautiful chocolate pumpkin cake is the rich and decadent chocolate ganache topping.
- Whipping cream
- Semisweet chocolate chips
Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Do not mix or stir them in, let the chocolate sit for five minutes.
After five minutes, stir the mixture until smooth. Let it cool for about 15 minutes, and then pour the ganache over the cake so it slowly drips down the sides. Chill the cake in the fridge for 30 minutes or until the ganache is set.
Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Recipe Tips
Enjoy this chocolate pumpkin cake; I promise you won’t be disappointed. It’s not fall until I’ve made a chocolate harvest cake at our house – it’s a beautiful way to welcome the new season.
Pair this With…
Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save it for later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools To Make This Recipe
From trusty pots and pans to handy gadgets, I’ve curated a list of products I use and love.
Chocolate Harvest Cake
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk + 1 tbsp lemon juice, stir and let it sit for 5 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Pumpkin Cream Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350º F. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans or a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and lightly dust with some flour, then set aside.
- In mixing bowl, add buttermilk, water, oil, sugar, eggs, baking soda, and salt; stir together until it is well combined. Add in flour and cocoa powder and whisk until smooth and there are no lumps.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until you can lightly touch the center and it springs back. Cool pans on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then remove cake and allow to completely cool on the wire rack. Once cooled prepare filling.
- In a mixing bowl beat together cream cheese, pumpkin, sugar, and cinnamon until well combined and thick.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, I like to use a cake stand. Evenly spread the filling on top of the bottom layer, then add the second cake on top. Make the Chocolate Glaze.
- In a small sauce pan add the whipping cream and bring to a boil, remove from heat and add in chocolate chips. Do not mix or stir them in, let the chocolate sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir until smooth. Let it cool for about 15 minutes, then pour over cake, allowing it to slowly drip down the sides. Set the cake in the fridge and let it chill for 30 minutes, until cake is set.
- Serve once the glaze is set and enjoy!