Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices are a perfect snack. Crispy baked apple slices coated in cinnamon and sugar like a fruit chew but better!
We love making these Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices through the spring and summer seasons. Great game day snack to munch on at the baseball fields and fantastic poolside treat. I love eating these baked apple slices as much as the kids, so I triple the batch every time I make them.
So my new obsession recently has become a dehydrator. I need one, well no let me correct that, I want one. I went on a road trip with my friend Sarah and her family + dog to Utah for a conference. It honestly was nice riding in a car where I didn’t have to yell at anyone to stay in their seat or to stop fighting.
The drive was peaceful because I didn’t have my kids in tow but that wasn’t the highlight of the drive. The best part was these dried pineapple pieces that Sarah had made. YUM! They literally tasted like candy. I couldn’t wait to come home and make them, but then I soon realized you need a dehydrator and well, that’s not my thing because all I would do in it is pineapple and I can buy that cheaper than it would be for me to invest in a dehydrator and I am saving cupboard space.
So I went with baked apple slices and I was pleasantly surprised with how good these are and made I haven’t made them until now.
I made these for the kids all the time when I first posted this recipe and then after a hectic few years and retiring from providing daycare services I stopped. It wasn’t until I started browsing the blog for some snack ideas, because I sometimes forget my own ideas (a perk of having a blog!)
I came across these and knew I needed to make them stat.
Once my kids came home from school browsing for a snack, I pulled these out. Of course they didn’t remember me making these all the time. I tried not to be insulted, haha. They were a little weary but then after they ate one, they came back for a second, thirds and within 15 minutes, these Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices were gone.
Here are a few tips on making baked apple slices.
- Wash, peel (optional) and core apples.
- Slice apples thinly and evenly (1/4 inch). To slice apples evenly and thin, try using a mandolin
- If desired, dip slices in anti-browning solution of 1/4 cup lemon juice in 1 quart of water. * I don’t do this but have a friend that swears by this.
- Our favorite apples to bake into slices: Gala (cheapest), Fuji and Honeycrisp (most delicious) and Granny Smith (classic but a little tangy).
What I love about these baked apple slices is that you can have them for breakfast, lunch or as a snack.
It honestly is a miracle that my kids ask for these to pack in their lunch because its something I suggested. I love apples and I eat one once a day but having these baked apple slices are a nice change-up and hugely welcomed.
There is only one downside to this amazing snack and that is that you have to plan to have these because of the baking time. This summer I plan on baking these in large batches once a week so we have a fun and delicious snack by the pool. And these Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices are completely worth the effort!
Enjoy this recipe friends! XOXO San
Love apple recipes? Be sure to check out these: Apple Walnut Salad, Apple Cobbler No-Bake Cheesecake with Crumb Topping, Caramel Apple Slab Pie, and Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal.
How do you make Baked Apple Slices?
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and prepare two baking pans/sheets by lining with parchment paper.
Thinly slice the apples, get rid of any seeds.
Arrange on the prepared baking sheets, making sure to have the slices placed in a single layer not overlapping.
In a small bowl combine cinnamon and sugar.
Then sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over apples.
Place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
Then at 1 hour gently shake the pans, so that the apples move just a bit.
Return to oven and bake for another 1-1 ½ hours or until they have crisped up and no longer moist.
Don’t forget to pin these Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Baked Cinnamon Sugar Apple Slices
- 3 apples I used Honeycrisp
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and prepare two baking pans/sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Thinly slice the apples, I used my mandolin. Get rid of any seeds. Arrange on the prepared baking sheets, making sure to have the slices placed in a single layer not overlapping.
- In a small bowl combine cinnamon and sugar. Then sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over apples.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour. Then at 1 hour gently shake the pans, so that the apples move just a bit. Return to oven and bake for another 1-1 ½ hours or until they have crisped up and no longer moist.
Recipe first posted in June 2015.