This easy Apple Crisp will be the star of the meal. Spiced apples baked with a deliciously sweet topping combine for a perfect fall dessert.
I love a fruit crisp and this apple crisp is an all-time favorite. It’s easy to assemble, will make your house smell amazing, and there won’t be a single bite left after you serve it. It’s a must-make for apple season!
Apple crisps are a favorite at our house and the star of this show is the crisp topping. It’s simply the best ever!
Homemade crisps are wonderful and my recipe is seriously the easiest. The secret is in the topping. Instead of dragging out all the flour and other dry ingredients, I use cake mix to make it. Combined with the oats and butter it makes the best topping.
I’ve been making my fruit crisps like this for years ever since I learned the cake mix short-cut from a friend. It’s similar to the one I use for my peach cobbler recipe but for this variation, I made a simple apple crisp.
I’ve played around with the topping so many times before settling on this final result. Whether you use it on peaches, apples, cherries, or blueberries, this crisp topping is just divine.
- Apples – I love to use Honeycrisp because they are the perfect balance of sweet and tart. Any good baking apple will work, so feel free to use your favorite.
- Brown sugar
- Pure maple syrup
- Rolled oats
- Melted butter
- Yellow cake mix
- Brown sugar
How to Make It
Peel and core the apples and thinly slice them. Spread them in an even layer in a 9×13″ baking pan.
Top the apples with brown sugar, maple syrup, and cinnamon and lightly toss so they are evenly coated.
In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter, oats, cake mix, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Top the apples with the crumble mixture.
Bake the crisp for 40 to 50 minutes at 350°F. When it’s done, the apples will be tender and the topping will be golden brown and bubbly around the edges.
Serve this apple crisp warm from the oven. It’s wonderful plain but adding a topping takes it over the top.
- Try a dollop of whipped cream dusted with cinnamon.
- A scoop of ice cream is wonderful – vanilla is great, but don’t be afraid to try a complementary flavor like butter pecan or caramel swirl.
- Add a drizzle of a sauce like a salted caramel sauce or my decadent peanut butter caramel sauce would be amazing.
This recipe serves a crowd making it great for holidays and other celebrations. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and they will keep for a few days.
You can use this easy cake mix crisp topping with other kinds, of fruit, too. During the summer it’s so good with fresh berries, cherries, and peaches. But, during the fall, we stick with apples!
The combination of apples and cinnamon with that sweet crisp topping is a match made in heaven. You will love this easy apple crisp! Enjoy! XOXO San
More Easy Desserts
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
- 8 apples we used honey crisp but any kind will work
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup butter melted
- 2 cups yellow cake mix
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Peel and core the apples and then cut into thin slices. Place in an even layer to a 9"x13" baking pan.
- Add 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup maple syrup, and 1/2 t. of cinnamon to the apples and toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted butter, oats, cake mix, 2/3 cup brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Top the apples with the crumble mixture.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, the apples should be tender and the topping should be golden brown and bubbly around the edges.
- Serve warm, optionally with ice cream or cool whip. Enjoy!