Are you looking for a delicious yet quick meal bursting with flavor? Look no further than our fiery Firecracker Shrimp! An incredible combination of sweet and spicy is ready in just 20 minutes.
I love easy meals I can throw together in less than 30 minutes. My family loves meals with shrimp, so this recipe for Firecracker Shrimp is a win for us all.
I made this Firecracker Shrimp recipe after being inspired by a recent trip to a Mongolian-style restaurant. Our family loves going to restaurants like this and trying to pile as much as humanly possible into those smaller-than-we-expected bowls, making the typical Mt. Everest-like combinations of vegetables, sauces, and unnatural amounts of meats. We always leave with full bellies and smiling faces.
What was different about this place was that they had pre-made menu ideas; of course, you could still create your combination, but they had some ready for you just in case you had trouble deciding.
My husband got the Firecracker Shrimp, and I did it too quickly after trying his. What I loved about this recipe was the amount of spice and that the shrimp wasn’t breaded. It reminded me of Bang Bang Shrimp without all the breading and additional calories. We all loved the recipe so much that I came home and tried to replicate it, and after two tries, we got it!
What is Firecracker sauce made of?
This recipe is full of flavor; you can adjust the heat factor of the shrimp to your taste, which is fantastic when you have little kids or people who don’t care for all the heat.
- Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Ginger
How do you make Firecracker Shrimp?
In a large bowl, season shrimp with salt and pepper to taste.
Lightly toss the shrimp in the cornstarch, then dip them into the egg mixture.
Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp about 4-6 at a time, depending on your saucepan and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; discard excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining shrimp.
Make the sauce by first wiping out the pan that you used to cook the shrimp.
Combine the sweet chili garlic sauce, lemon juice, zest, honey, garlic salt, ginger, and Sriracha. and boil over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes.
Add the shrimp back into the pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately with rice or over fresh veggies.
What can I serve with Firecracker Shrimp?
- Rice Noodles
- Lettuce Wraps
- Salad, like a mix of simple greens or our favorite Chopped Asian Salad (just omit the chicken from the recipe and substitute with the Firecracker shrimp instead)
- Tortillas, either corn tortillas or flour tortillas will work, my family prefers flour tortillas
You will love this simple recipe friend, the sweet & spicy combination is just perfection. And the fact that you can make it in 20-minutes means the Firecracker Shrimp will be a repeat offender in your home.
Don’t forget to pin this FIRECRACKER SHRIMP to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined (about 25 shrimp)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sweet chili garlic sauce in the ethnic food aisle at the grocery store
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, season shrimp with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly toss the shrimp in the cornstarch until coated. Dip them individually into the beaten eggs right before frying.
- Add shrimp about 4-6 at a time depending on your saucepan and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat the process with the remaining shrimp, discarding any excess oil.
- Wipe out the pan you just used to cook the shrimp. Combine the sweet chili garlic sauce, lemon juice, and zest, honey, garlic salt ginger and Sriracha. and bring to boil over medium-high heat, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp back in – into pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately with rice or over fresh veggies.