Firecracker Shrimp – a sweet & spicy combination with tantalizing flavors, this gorgeous meal is ready in 20-minutes.
I love easy meals that I can throw together in less than 30 minutes. My family loves meals with shrimp, so this recipe for Firecracker Shrimp is a win for us all. Full of flavor you can adjust the heat factor of this recipe to your taste. Which is fantastic when you have little kids like mine.
I made this Firecracker Shrimp recipe after being inspired by a recent trip to a Mongolian style restaurant. Our family loves going to restaurants like this and trying to pile as much as humanly possible into those smaller-than-we-expected bowls, making the typical Mt. Everest like combinations of vegetables, sauces and unnatural amounts of meats. We always leave with full bellies and smiling faces.
What was different about this place was they had pre-made menu ideas, of course, you could still create your own combination but they had some ready for you just in case you were having trouble deciding.
My husband got the Firecracker Shrimp and I did too quickly after trying his. What I loved about this recipe was the amount of spice and that the shrimp wasn’t breaded. It reminded me of Bang Bang Shrimp but without all the breading and additional calories. We all loved the recipe so much that I came home and tried to replicate it and after 2 tries, we got it!
What is Firecracker sauce made of?
- Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Ginger
How do you make Firecracker Shrimp?
In a large bowl, season shrimp with salt and pepper, to taste.
Lightly toss the shrimp in the cornstarch, then dip them individually into the egg mixture.
Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp about 4-6 at a time depending on your saucepan and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; discard excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining shrimp.
Make the sauce.
Wipe out the pan you just used to cook the shrimp. Combine the sweet chili garlic sauce, lemon juice, and zest, honey, garlic salt ginger and Sriracha. and bring to boil over medium-high heat, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the shrimp back in – into pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately with rice or over fresh veggies.
What can I serve with Firecracker Shrimp?
- Rice Noodles
- Lettuce Wraps
- Salad, like a mix of simple greens or our favorite Chopped Asian Salad (just omit the chicken from the recipe and substitute with the shrimp instead)
- Tortillas, either Corn Tortillas or Flour Tortillas will work, my family prefers flour tortillas
You will love this simple recipe friend, the sweet & spicy combination is just perfection. And the fact that you can make it in 20-minutes means the Firecracker Shrimp will be a repeat offender in your home.
Enjoy! XOXO San
Don’t forget to pin this FIRECRACKER SHRIMP to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined (about 25 shrimp)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup sweet chili garlic sauce in the oriental aisle at the grocery store
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, season shrimp with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly toss the shrimp in the cornstarch until coated. Dip them individually into the beaten eggs right before frying.
- Add shrimp about 4-6 at a time depending on your saucepan and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat the process with the remaining shrimp, discarding any excess oil.
- Wipe out the pan you just used to cook the shrimp. Combine the sweet chili garlic sauce, lemon juice, and zest, honey, garlic salt ginger and Sriracha. and bring to boil over medium-high heat, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp back in - into pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately with rice or over fresh veggies.
It was a pleasure to partner with bd’s Mongolian Grill to bring you this FIRECRACKER SHRIMP recipe. All opinions expressed are my own. This post may contain affiliate links. See my Full Disclosure for further details.