In our family, any get-together means queso is an absolute must-have! Paired with chips, this hot, cheesy, and delicious dip will be the showstopper at any celebration.
This simple recipe can be made at the last minute and in less than 15 minutes whenever the occasion requires cheesy goodness.
Everyone has one person in their family who says they hate to cook, so anytime there is a family gathering, they ask to bring whatever they can pick up from the store. The person in my family is my sister Tami. She claims she hates to cook or anything in the kitchen, but that is not true.
Some of my kid’s favorite recipes are my sister Tami’s. Including her quiche, buffalo chicken dip & then this cheesy queso recipe.
My sister is pretty amazing regarding food; she has to believe it and then take the time for it. She truly is a hostess with the most-ess, although she would also play that down.
Ingredients for queso
What sets this recipe apart from other queso recipes are the fresh ingredients. Fresh onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapenos, give this queso a fantastic texture and are eye-catching.
Don’t worry; if you aren’t a fan of some fresh ingredients, you can easily omit them.
- American cheese
- Canned green chiles
- Garlic salt
- White onion
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cilantro (if you don’t like cilantro, feel free to omit it)
How to make the best queso recipe
I am so excited to share this queso recipe with you—it is the perfect Mexican dip! Creamy, cheesy, and fresh flavor, this mouth-watering dish takes mere moments to make and will be devoured in no time.
Queso is always the answer if you want something to bring the party together. Let’s get started!
Over medium heat, add milk, cheese, butter, and diced green chiles in a skillet or medium saucepan. Constantly stirring to combine and melt.
Reduce the heat to simmer and add in the fresh ingredients: white onion, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapeno, and stir to combine.
Note: You can adjust the fresh garnishes to taste; I would start at the suggested amounts and then have additional toppings on the side for each person to adjust to their taste.
What to serve with queso
Serve this queso recipe along with my favorite salsa recipe. Made in under 5 minutes, this salsa is a must-have and straightforward to put together.
Make taco taquitos and use them as a dipper in the queso; my kids love this! And it makes for a beautiful party spread as well. Plus, an easy weeknight meal.
Make Mexican Chicken burritos or tacos and smoother them in this queso. Insanely delicious and my favorite way to devour this recipe.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Best Queso Dip
- 24 ounces American cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces chopped canned green chiles
- 1/2 cup milk more or less depending on your preference
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/3 cup finely diced white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 freshly finely diced jalapenos, seeds removed
- In a skillet or medium saucepan, over medium heat add milk, cheese, butter, and diced green chiles. Constantly stirring to combine and melted.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and add in the fresh ingredients: white onion, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapeno, and stir to combine.
- You can adjust the fresh garnishes to taste, I would start at the suggested amounts and then have additional toppings on the side, for each person to adjust to their own taste.
This recipe is really easy to make, I did it the first time.