This Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken is an extremely flavorful dish, filled with Indian spices and slow-cooked all day. Serve with fresh naan and rice.
I love making fresh naan with this recipe when I can. My favorite is this Naan Recipe with the garlic added. We love these other Indian inspired dishes, like this Slow Cooker Butter Chicken and Healthy Slow Cooker Tikka Masala.
I love good Indian food. It is the second most missed thing from my time living in Boston (My #1 thing I miss from there is pastries!!!). I think they have the best Indian food there. This recipe is great because you can make it in the slow cooker. It’s easy to throw together in a hurry and just let it cook all day. We love to serve it with homemade garlic naan, but this day I did plain naan because strep throat has seemed to take over our home.
How do you make Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken?
In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, stir together chicken, onion, ginger, tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, coriander, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper.
Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours until fork-tender. Shred chicken and stir in yogurt, cilantro, and if using, garam masala.
What can you make in a slow cooker?
Soups, dinners, even desserts!
Check out all Dash of Sanity slow cooker recipes here!
My favorite kitchen tools used to make Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Full Disclosure for further details.
SLOW COOKER: I prefer my slow cooker to have a timer. This is because I always somehow forget about it. So having a timer and a lid that locks are two essential things for me when purchasing a slow cooker.
MEASURING CUPS: Nothing beats a good set of measuring cups that last a long time. I love metal measuring cups because of its durability.
MEASURING SPOONS: I have to have a metal set of measuring spoons on hand. The plastic ones just don’t last long in our house thanks in large part to the garbage disposal.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Indian-Spiced Braised Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion halved and thinly sliced
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger about 1-inch piece
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala optional
- cooked rice for serving
- In a 5-6 quart slow cooker, stir together chicken, onion, ginger, tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, coriander, and cayenne; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours until fork-tender. Shred chicken (this is optional, but my kids like it this way), then add in yogurt, cilantro, and if using, garam masala.
- Serve with fresh garlic naan and basmati rice.
My review: Easy and tasty! Serve with white or brown rice!
Kids review: They just put this inside the naan and eat it like a taco. It’s a keeper!