Chocolate Raspberry Cake has irresistible layers of chocolate cake, fresh raspberry cream, ganache & raspberries.
Whether you make this cake for a special event or simply as an eye-catching dessert to serve with supper, it will attract both friends and family.
This Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake is one of my favorites because of the layers of chocolate and raspberry cream. This recipe was inspired by my Chocolate Harvest Cake.
While the chocolate harvest cake has layers of chocolate cake and pumpkin mousse filling and is incredibly delicious but it is really only something I will make in the fall.
So I took the idea of that cake and made a raspberry filling instead, delicious!
HOW TO MAKE THE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CAKE:
- Make sure to grease your pans well with butter. This allows the cakes to remove from the pan easily. I love to line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper, allowing for a beautiful, stackable cake.
- Be sure to allow the cake to completely cool before frosting and stacking the layers. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
- Do not attempt to make this recipe with frozen raspberries, you will have one giant mess
Other delicious sweet treats!
Banana Fritters from Grandbaby Cakes
Snowy Mountain Baby Shower Cake from Life, Love and Sugar
Fruity Pebbles Muffins from Crazy for Crust
Instant Pot Cheesecake from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
No Bake Turtle Dream Bars from 365 Days of Baking and More
Classic Lemon Bars with Shortbread Crust from A Classic Twist
Potato Chip and Pecan Sandies from Simple Joy
This chocolate cake with raspberries has light fluffy layers but is decadent enough to satisfy your chocolate cravings. A perfect balance.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for CHOCOLATE CAKE to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice stir together and let it sit for 5 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Raspberry Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1/4 cup sugar
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips I use Nestle Toll House
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Lightly spray two or three, depending on what look you are going for, 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and lightly dust with flour, tapping with a spoon to remove excess; set aside.
- In mixing bowl, add buttermilk, water, oil, 2 cups sugar, eggs, baking soda and salt; stir together until it is well combined. Add in flour and cocoa powder and whisk until smooth and there are no lumps. This batter is runny don’t stress, instead lick the bowl clean.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes (3 pans) or 30-35 minutes (2 pans), or until you can lightly touch the center and it springs back. Cool pans on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then remove cake and allow to completely cool on the wire rack. Once cooled prepare filling.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Filling
- In a mixing bowl beat together cream cheese, raspberry preserves, and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until well combined and thick.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, I like to use a cake stand.
- 3 Layer Cake – Evenly spread the 1/2 of the filling on top of the bottom layer, then add the second cake on top. Add the remaining filling and add the last cake on top.
- 2 Layer Cake – Evenly spread the filling on top of the bottom layer, then add the second cake on top.
- Make the ganache.
- In a small sauce pan add the whipping cream and bring to a boil, remove from heat and add in chocolate chips. Do not mix or stir them in, let the chocolate sit for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let it cool for about 15 minutes, then pour over cake, allowing it to slowly drip down the sides. Top with fresh raspberries, as many or as little as you would like. Set the cake in the fridge and let it chill for 30 minutes, until cake is set.
- You are now ready to serve, enjoy and indulge!