This Double Chocolate Nutella Cake has layers of rich chocolate & Nutella. It’s simple and easy to put together with two family favorite ingredients.
This post was inspired & sponsored by Princess Cruises. All opinions expressed are my own.
My daughter Jordan first created this Double Chocolate Nutella Cake for her 9th birthday. It has since been requested to be made for parties, family get-togethers, picnics, and most recently, for my 40th birthday. Yes, you read that right – I turned the big 4 0.
While most people are a little freaked out about the big 4 0, I wasn’t – but I’ll admit I was a little sad. You see, I loved my 30s. I had so many firsts, raised 5 little babies and finally had the confidence I was a good mom. If I had to choose between 20s and 30s, hands down I would choose my 30s.
Mainly, my sadness came down to my kids were getting older too. I suddenly realized that in my 40s, I could possibly become a grandma, and this thought alone makes me aware that life goes by extremely fast. It wasn’t just about me getting older, but so were the loved ones around me (except for my husband according to him).
About 8 weeks before my 40th birthday, Princess Cruises reached out with an amazing experience to spend a week in the Western Carribean being pampered, fed and taken to paradise and back. When I found out the dates included my 40th birthday, I felt like it was serendipity. I couldn’t pass it up, so I jumped on it and booked my oldest daughter Jojo and I on a dream vacation.
I’ve cruised before with Princess, and I wanted her to have a chance to live the dream and experience the ultimate pampering one can find on th,e seas. I couldn’t wait to create memories for us both at this new stage of life for me and her as a new teen. I didn’t want to focus on how my kids are growing up quickly before my eyes; I wanted to live in the moment and have some one-on-one time – which as I mom of 5, I rarely get.
When I booked our cruise, Princess Cruises instantly got in touch with me and asked if I wanted to celebrate my birthday while on the cruise? Umm yes! When they asked what kind of cake I liked, including frosting, I said, “Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.”
I had already experienced one birthday previously aboard Princess Cruises, so I could not miss another opportunity, and because it was my 40th, I was going to let them go all out. And guess what, I was going to book that extra spa package too… and I did.
I’m all about making occasions special for others, but when it comes to myself, I would rather someone else do that – just ask my husband. So cruising with Princess on my birthday couldn’t have been a better match. Warm sun, poolside drinks, food service with my Ocean Medallion, spa treatments, and the best ever birthday cake… I mean, who would deny that for oneself?
I started off the day with breakfast in bed, literally. We had the ultimate feast delivered, and of course, the homemade pastries were our favorite. Next, we headed to the spa, booking ourselves a facial, pedicure, and massage – remember I am 40, so I need all the lovely treatments I can get. We walked back to grab our swimsuits to find balloons and birthday banner waiting for us. Jordan was beyond excited. I think she was confused and thought they were celebrating her – she only wishes.
That night we celebrated dinner with my close friends, Erin & Lynne, eating at Planks Barbeque. I had banana cream pudding for dessert, and it was amazing. That night we relaxed with a movie under the stars. It was truly the experience I wanted tor my big 4 0.
Now you might think it all stopped there. Nope. The next night we had plans to do dinner with our whole group. It was an amazing steak dinner, pleasing Jojo as this was hands down her favorite meal. She had a big ol’ 16-ounce steak and 4 different salts to choose from – literally heaven to her.
After we had already ordered a dessert, a larger than life birthday cake was escorted to our table, and it had way too many candles. I knew it was for me. Everyone sang, and I blew out the candles and that was it. This cake was an absolute dream, made with delicate layers of chocolate cake, mouse and the most amazing whipped chocolate icing. I couldn’t imagine a more decadent cake. Trying to recreate this cake will be hard. So hard that I may just need to book another Princess Cruise.
Princess Cruises literally makes anything amazing having to do with chocolate and Nutella, hence the inspiration of resharing this Double Chocolate Nutella Cake. Princess homemade chocolates are to die for, their Nutella donuts are drool worthy and their chocolate covered strawberries I wish I could order from home.
Jojo and I had to wait till the last morning to have our favorite Nutella Donuts at the International Cafe, and let me tell you, they were worth the wait. Jojo, like me, is a Nutella love. I frequently catch her with a spoon eating out of the container, usually right after dance practice. It’s her favorite snack. And if I didn’t stop her, she would eat the whole container – the large one… we don’t do little here.
When she created this cake 4 years ago, I was smart enough to take a picture of her recipe, and I am so happy I did. This is a precious memory like the many we created in the Western Carribean I never want to forget.
My 40th birthday was one I will always cherish. I sailed on the open sea with one of my favorite brands to work with, I ate the best ever chocolate cake, felt pampered and loved, and spent it with two of my dearest friends and daughter. I was extremely grateful to have another celebration with my hubby, kids and family when I got home – to me, there is nothing better than to see all the blessings in your life on your birthday, and this year, I was overwhelmed with gratitude.
I have to say one of my favorite things as a mom is to watch each of my children to develop and grow into amazing humans. Sometimes our lives get a little hectic, and I lose my sanity, but it’s the memories, the birthdays, and the love that make it all worth it.
There is not a day that goes by where I am not grateful for my life, my children and the man I married.
And today, I get to share not only this amazing recipe by my daughter Jojo, but also our trip together on Princess Cruises celebrating my 40th birthday and creating memories neither one of us will forget. xoxo San
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for DOUBLE CHOCOLATE NUTELLA CAKE to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Double Chocolate Nutella Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice stir together and let it sit for 5 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Nutella Buttercream
- 3/4 cup of butter softened
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons Nutella spread
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Chocolate Glaze:
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350º F.
- Grease two 9-inch round cake pans or 1 – 9x13, with cooking spray and lightly dust with some flour, then set aside.
- In mixing bowl, add buttermilk, water, oil, sugar, eggs, baking soda and salt; stir together until it is well combined. Add in flour and cocoa powder and whisk until smooth and there are no lumps.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan(s).
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, depending on size of pans you use; until you can lightly touch the center and it springs back. Cool pans on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then remove cake and allow to completely cool on the wire rack. Once the cakes are cooled prepare buttercream.
- In a large bowl, I use my Kitchen Aid mixer cream together butter and Nutella. Slowly mix in the powder sugar, one cup at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk and continue mixing until light and fluffy. You may need to add more sugar or milk until you find the right consistency, this varies every time I do the recipe. If you are not going to use the frosting right away keep covered until you are ready to do so.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate, I like to use a cake stand. Evenly, an additional 2 tablespoons of Nutella on top of the first layer of cake, then top with about ½ cup of buttercream, spread the evenly on top of the bottom layer, then add the second cake on top. Frost with the remaining buttercream, spread on the sides and top, make sure the top is even and the sides are completely covered, once you have frosted the cake, set in the fridge, while you prepare the chocolate glaze.
- Chocolate Glaze:
- In a small sauce pan add the whipping cream and bring to a boil, remove from heat and add in chocolate chips. Do not mix or stir them in, let the chocolate sit for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let it cool for about 15 minutes, then pour over cake, allowing it to slowly drip down the sides. Set the cake in the fridge and let it chill for 30 minutes, until cake is set.
- You are now ready to serve. Enjoy!