This easy chicken skillet combines chicken with tomatoes, spinach, and garlic for a fresh and fast dinner bursting with Italian flavors.
This Italian Chicken Skillet with spinach is one of my personal favorite dinner recipes I make when I’m craving fresh Italian flavors. It’s loaded with chicken and veggies for a light but satisfying dinner.
When my kids are craving something more kid-friendly for dinner, this healthy chicken skillet is often what I make for myself. It’s been a go-to lately since I’ve been counting macros and I never get tired of it. The combination of tomatoes, spinach, and chicken is just so fresh and delicious.
But sometimes I want to share it with the family and when that happens I usually add some pasta and some cheese to dress it up. They love it and we all win – I get my favorite Italian flavors and they get a delicious pasta dinner.
Easy Chicken Skillet Recipe
This is a quick 20-minute dinner recipe perfect for weeknight dinners or lunch. You can also make it ahead for meal prep – I love portioning it out to containers so I have an easy meal when I want to stay on track.
The flavors are simple but pack a fresh punch. Sweet cherry tomatoes, garlic, shallot, spinach, and a touch of butter and olive oil are delicious with the tender chicken.
Sometimes I add some crumbled feta cheese or cubes of fresh mozzarella just before serving it. My family loves some shaved Parmesan. A light drizzle of balsamic glaze is always nice, too.
I just love how easy to comes together! Serve it with a simple salad on the side, a slice of crusty bread, or just all on it’s own for a deliciously light and flavorful meal.
- Olive oil
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1″ pieces
- Minced shallot
- Minced garlic
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- Fresh spinach
- Salt and black pepper
- Crumbled feta cheese, cubed fresh mozzarella, or shaved Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken with some olive oil and butter in a large skillet. Once it’s cooked through take it out of the pan.
Add more butter and oil to the pan. Add the shallot, garlic, and tomatoes and cook them until the shallot is softened.
Add the spinach along with salt and pepper and cook the spinach until it wilts.
Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and stir to combine. At this point, feel free to add some cheese like feta, mozzarella, or Parmesan.
Chicken breasts worked really well in this dish, but you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs, too.
If you can’t find cherry tomatoes, the same amount of grape tomatoes are fine, too. If it’s summer and you have some garden or farmers’ market tomatoes feel free to chop them up and use them instead.
I love spinach because it cooks fast, but you can use fresh kale instead. It has a different flavor and texture and will take a little longer to cook.
If you want to add pasta, I think a short pasta shape like penne or rotini works best.
Leftover Italian chicken skillet will keep well for three to four days in the refrigerator.
If you’re craving something light and healthy this Italian chicken skillet is a must-try. It’s filling and full of fresh Italian flavors – the perfect easy dinner. Enjoy! XOXO San
More Light and Healthy Dinners
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken Kabobs
- Lightened Up Wild Rice Chicken Soup
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board to make for later.
Italian Chicken Skillet
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts around 1 3/4 lbs
- 2 shallots minced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 16 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 10 ounces spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a cast-iron.
- Add cubed chicken to skillet and cook until chicken is cooked all the way through. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a cast-iron skillet.
- Add shallots, minced garlic, and tomatoes, and cook until the shallots are translucent.
- Add spinach and season with salt and pepper, cookie until spinach starts to wilt. Add in chicken, toss to combine and serve.
- Serve with noodles and bread, or just serve as is. I love to add crumbled feta or fresh mozzarella and a light balsamic glaze.