Best Ever Apple Crisp is one of our family favorites desserts. Maple caramelized apples and a crisp sweet topping, nothing beats this fall treat.
This Best Ever Apple Crisp recipe has made it into our monthly rotation and I could not be more elated that I have some crisp dessert fans in my family. I have mentioned this a few times before on the blog about how much my family and I are into cobbler and crisp recipes. It all started when I make this Best Ever Peach Cobbler Recipe, and then continued with Cherry Cobbler AND then my Best Ever Apple Cherry Crisp. My kids say it is a toss up on which one is their favorite between this Best Ever Apple Crisp and the peach cobbler. I’m for apple all the way.
Typically it seems we have Honeycrisp apples in our store all year long and if by chance they are out it only lasts for a few weeks or so. Except for this year, there seemed to have been a Honeycrisp apple shortage here in Colorado because I went without them for over 2 months, a long 2 months. I resorted to my second favorite the Pink Lady – but it just wasn’t the same. I went from eating an apple a day to an apple every few days.
Now I must say I would never use them in this apple crisp recipe for two reasons. One Honeycrisp apples are expensive and secondly, Granny Smith apples are just perfect for baking. The tartness and sweetness to the Granny Smith apple married with the brown sugar and maple syrup making a deliciously almost caramel sauce, it is drool-worthy.
I think that apple crisp is one of those desserts you can make all year long. Fall, spring or summer this is always a hit around the table. I’ve shared this secret before but just in case you missed it I will share it again.
The key to making the best crisp recipe is in the topping. My friend once told me what made her recipe so much better is that she substituted the flour for a yellow cake mix. I instantly knew that this was the best-kept secret and it needs to be shared.
Since then I have been doing this and I love the hint of sweetness that using a yellow cake mix gives. Not overly sweet, just the right amount. I love learning little tidbits like that from friends and family because truly this is the way to food perfection is sharing what we know and like.
So year while at the pumpkin patch and harvesting the perfect pumpkin for Halloween come home and make this Best Ever Apple Crisp it will round out the day to be just perfect. Enjoy friends! XOXO San
How do you make Apple Crisp?
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Best Ever Apple Crisp
- 8 large Granny Smith apples cored, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cake mix just the mix!
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoon chilled butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel apples, cored and then slices into quarters. Then slice each quarter piece into three pieces.
- In a large bowl add apple slices, lemon juice, cornstarch, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Gently toss to combine. Pour apple mixture into skillet or 2-quart baking dish and place in preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While apples are baking, in a medium mixing bowl, combine yellow cake mix, brown sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir to combine. Add butter, and using a pastry blender or a fork, cut butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add crumb topping to cover the apples entirely. Set in the oven and bake for another 30-35 minutes or until crumb topping is a nice golden brown and the juice from the apples is bubbling.
- Serve immediately or let it cool and serve later, it's great either way especially with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped topping.