Crispy Air Fryer Chicken with a sticky honey garlic sauce is an easy dinner your family will love.
Delectable crispy chicken with my favorite honey garlic sauce is a family-favorite recipe you must try. Juicy seasoned chicken thighs are cooked in the air fryer so they are nice and crispy but without all of the oil. This sauce is the perfect balance of salty and sweet and takes just minutes to make.
Serve this crispy honey chicken with rice for a delicious dinner!
I first made honey garlic sauce with chicken years ago and it quickly became a family favorite. I’ve done so many variations over the years with this most recent creation that cooks in the air fryer.
I just love the air fryer! You get all the crispy texture that you would from frying but with just a small amount of oil and a lot less of a mess. No hot splattering oil on the stove!
Not to mention, it’s healthier to air fry. So, I am so excited to share this air fryer crispy honey chicken with you. It’s inspired by the honey garlic chicken I made years ago.
I like to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe because they’re juicy and full of flavor from a higher fat content.
You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you prefer. If you do, the only change you need to make is with the cooking time. They won’t take as long to cook.
It’s coated in cornstarch along with spices to give the coating tons of flavor. The cornstarch is the key to achieving a perfectly crispy coating!
Easy Honey Garlic Sauce
You only need five pantry ingredients to make the sauce: olive oil, garlic, honey, soy sauce, and black pepper. It’s as simple as mixing them together and simmering until it’s thickened.
How to Make This Recipe
Combine all of the ingredients for the coating in a large bowl.
Cut the chicken into cubes and then place them in the bowl with the cornstarch mixture.
Toss the two together until the chicken is evenly coated. It might seem like a lot, but you need them completely coated. When you cook it the cornstarch will create the most delicious crispy chicken.
Place the pieces in the air fryer. It’s best to keep them in an even layer so that they cook evenly.
Cook the chicken following your air fryer’s manufacture guidelines. For mine, I cooked it at 390°F 24 minutes, flipping the pieces over halfway through the cooking time.
Once it’s done the chicken will be golden, crispy, and delicious! It’s tempting to serve it as is but adding the honey garlic sauce just takes it to a whole new level.
How to Make the Sauce
Heat the minced garlic in the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook it for just a few minutes so that the garlic is softened but not browned.
Add the honey, soy sauce, and pepper and stir to combine. Simmer the sauce until it thickens. Keep an eye on it because if it boils too fast it might bubble over the saucepan.
Remove the pan from the heat and let the sauce cool for a few minutes.
Place the cooked chicken in a bowl and pour the sauce over the top. Toss so it’s evenly coated.
The combination of the shiny, sticky sauce with the crispy chicken is so amazing!
Side Dish Recommendations
I love to serve this dish over cooked rice with some sliced green onions on top for a pop of color and freshness.
Add a simple veggie like my roasted asparagus on the side for an easy side dish.
I know you will love this easy air fryer chicken recipe! It tastes like it was deep-fried but so much lighter and healthier. And the sauce! It’s a keeper – it really makes the whole dish. Enjoy! XOXO San
More Delicious Recipes
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Maple Barbecue Chicken Kabobs
- Easy Thai Chicken
- Korean Barbecue Chicken
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Air Fryer Crispy Honey Chicken
- 6 bonless, skinless, chicken thighs (see note)
- 1 cup cornstarch (or potato starch)
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cut the chicken into cubed chunks, then toss it in a bowl with cornstarch & seasonings. Use enough to coat the chickenevenly.
- Place in the Air Fryer and cook according to your Air Fryer Manual for chicken. (Note – I cooked ours on 390°F for 12 minutes on each side for a total of 24 minutes).
Honey Garlic Sauce
- In a medium saucepan add 2 tablespoons olive oil and minced garlic. Cookover medium heat to soften the garlic but do not let it brown.
- Add the honey, soy sauce, and black pepper.
- Simmer together for 5-10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool fora few minutes. Watch this carefully as it simmers because it can foam up over the pot very easily.
- Once the sauce is made and the chicken is finished cooking, combine in a serving dish and toss to coat the chicken completely. Serve with rice and garnish with chopped green onions if desired!