This Kale & Tortellini Pasta Salad is made with fresh kale, roasted red peppers, shallots, garlic, tortellini pasta, and a delicious lemon pesto dressing.
For a light and refreshing side or main dish, you cannot go wrong with this tortellini pasta salad. It’s made with lots of healthy kale and a delicious dressing – enjoy it cold, at room temperature, or warm!
This tortellini pasta salad is so refreshing and light. The lemon pesto dressing marries the pasta and the bitterness of the kale with its touch of sweetness. The saltiness of the Parmesan cheese finishes off the dish with perfection.
I love this pasta salad cold. My husband loves it warm. That is how we enjoy many things, I like it one way and he another. But we always seem to agree on the dish and whether or not we like it.
The first time I made this the kids were a little freaked out, but with the bribery of a trip to TCBY for a school fundraiser the plates were polished off! And they were surprised once they ate it, how much they liked it. (Well all except for Jojo.)
There are so many things I love about this kale pasta salad:
- Because there’s no mayo in the dressing it’s perfect for BBQs and potlucks. It holds beautifully at room temperature with no worries.
- The colors are gorgeous – we eat with our eyes first, right? – with the dark green of the kale and red from the bell peppers.
- The lemon dressing is my favorite part of this dish – the pesto just pulls all of the ingredients together.
- It’s a great way to introduce fresh kale to someone who may think they don’t like it. The flavors just all marry together to make a really delicious salad – they might even forget it’s kale!
This is a great dish to eat as a standalone meal but also makes a great side. Perfect for all the summer events or a weeknight family dinner.
- Five-cheese tortellini – you can use frozen or refrigerated.
- Olive oil
- Purple kale
- Diced red bell pepper
- Lemon juice
- Finely grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
How do you make Kale & Tortellini Pasta Salad?
Prepare tortellini according to package directions. Drain and toss it with garlic oil. Set aside to cool.
Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a small sauté pan, add pepper, and cook over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes, or until the pepper starts to cook and become slightly charred on the edges. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
Shred kale, shallots, and garlic using a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor then you can shred and thinly slice the vegetables with a knife.
Add kale to a large serving bowl, toss in cooled tortellini & red pepper. Set aside.
In a pint jar combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and pesto. Twist on the lid to the jar and shake until well combined.
Pour dressing over kale and tortellini. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and gently toss to combine.
Serve immediately or set in the fridge until ready to serve.
I serve this tortellini pasta salad cold, but my husband loves it warm and it’s also delicious at room temperature. Since there is no mayonnaise in the dressing you don’t need to worry about it spoiling quickly at room temperature.
Yes, once it’s cooked you can chill tortellini and serve it cold like in this pasta salad.
It’s wonderful alongside grilled steak, chicken, and pork. You can also serve it on its own as a main dish. If you want it more filling, try adding some grilled chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken to the salad.
It will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days.
This recipe is such a wonderful way to use fresh kale. Look for it at your local farmer’s market and I think you have the recipe for your next get-together right here in this Kale Tortellini Pasta Salad.
Enjoy! XOXO San
More Ways to Use Tortellini
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Kale & Tortellini Pasta Salad
- 1 pound five-cheese tortellini package frozen or fresh
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil you can use olive oil
- 1 bunch purple kale center stems discarded
- 1 red pepper stem & core removed, diced
- 2 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare tortellini according to package directions. Drain and Toss with garlic oil. Set aside to cool.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a small sauté pan, add pepper, and cook over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes, until pepper starts to cook and become slightly charred on the edges. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
- Shred kale, shallots, and garlic using a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor then you can shred and thinly slice the vegetables with a knife.
- Add kale to a large serving bowl, toss in cooled tortellini & red pepper. Set aside.
- In a pint jar combine extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and pesto. Twist on the lid to the jar and shake until well combined.
- Pour dressing over kale and tortellini. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and gently toss with your hands to combine.
- Serve immediately or set in the fridge until ready to serve.
GiGi Eats says
OHHHHH tortellini was definitely one of my favorites growing up! 😀 😀 😀 Definitely NOT with kale though LOL!
Thanks For Sharing this amazing recipe. My family loved it. I will be sharing this recipe with my friends. Hope the will like it.
such a good blog. hope to read more.
ساخت جرثقیل سقفی says
so good . thanks for sharing this recipe