This elegant BLT Caprese Insalata is an easy to make appetizer with layers of fresh mozzarella cheese, basil, arugula, & tomato served with balsamic glaze.
I recently went to dinner with 30 girlfriends. One of the appetizers we had that night was an Insalata Caprese. I loved this appetizer, in fact, everyone did. It was the first one gone and left everyone looking around for seconds. It was a hit!
Fast forward a few days, we were talking about the menu for the week and sandwiches were brought. My mind instantly went to BLT’s – yes, I have a family of bacon lovers. I then thought why not meld two of my favorite things, the obsessed-over appetizer I just had with my girls, and our family’s favorite sandwich. Voila! you now have our twist of BLT Caprese Insalata.
I love that this is elevated with the prosciutto and arugula while still encompassing the classic Caprese style with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Serve the balsamic glaze on the side, so that all those enjoying this salad can take it or leave it. For me, I love the glaze, as for my husband he does not. This will definitely be on our menu when we have friends or family over for a more elegant meal. While this isn’t a kid favorite, in time I know they will come to love it just as I do.
Enjoy! XOXO San
How do you make BLT Caprese Insalata?
- Layer starting with the mozzarella, top with one slice of prosciutto folded to fit the mozzarella, add sliced tomato, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with basil and then complete the Caprese by finishing it off with 3-4 arugula leaves. Drizzle with balsamic glaze or just serve on the side.
- Prepare right before you are ready to serve, it should never be allowed to sit in oil for any length of time or it will become soggy!
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
BLT Caprese Insalata
- 1 pound Mozzarella Fresca sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 vine tomatoes sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups fresh arugula
- 8 basil leaves chopped chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- 3 ounces Prosciutto thin sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Layer starting with the mozzarella, top with one slice of prosciutto folded to fit the mozzarella, add sliced tomato, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with basil and then complete the caprese by finishing it off with 3-4 arugula leaves. Drizzle with balsamic glaze or just serve this on the side.
Kids review: Umm…so salad. Yeah, no this ain’t flyin’. Just fine with Jake and my more sophisticated palate friends, we will enjoy it.