Cozy up with a bowl of this creamy white chicken chili! It’s an easy recipe you can make in your slow cooker for a delicious dinner.
We love this white chicken chili on cold, chilly days and love it during the summer because it isn’t too heavy. It’s easy to prep and simmers for hours in a slow cooker for an easy dinner. Top it with your favorite toppings like cilantro, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
We like to top ours with a little bit of everything!
If you’re looking for a white chicken chili recipe that’s sure to please, look no further. This one is delicious, easy to make, and perfect for a cozy night. So go ahead and try it – we think you’ll love it as much as we do!
I was doubtful when my sister served white chicken chili at her Halloween soup party because it was different from our family’s regular chili recipe.
Even though I wanted to be polite, I tried it; after all, how could chili go wrong? Surprisingly enough, I loved it and got the recipe from her. After making a few variations of my own, that fit my taste, I finally updated the recipe.
This white bean chicken chili is a delicious and easy crockpot recipe that the whole family will enjoy. We make it all year round, but we especially love it during fall and winter. It’s comforting but not heavy, and making it in the slow cooker could hardly be more straightforward.
Easy Slow Cooker Recipe
This recipe might have more ingredients than usual, but I promise they’re all easy to find and not difficult to use. Most of them are probably already in your pantry!
I usually spend 20 minutes preparing the chili in the morning. After that, I let it simmer for a few hours on low heat. In the last hour, there are a couple of extra steps to turn it into a creamy white chili.
Whenever we crave this dish, I am grateful that it is both easy to make and that I usually have the ingredients on hand. Another bonus – my kids always clean their plates! They love having cornbread as a side, but even without it this recipe is a winner in our house.
For this recipe, you will need to slow-cook the chicken with seasonings, vegetables, and beans in the broth.
These ingredients are for the base recipe. After they’ve simmered for hours, you will need to thicken them by mashing some of the cooked beans and adding a bit of flour. Here is a list of everything you’ll require:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper
- Chicken broth
- Canned diced green chiles
- Green chile salsa
- Frozen corn
- White beans – great northern or cannellini beans will work fine
Prep and Slow Cook
Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then arrange them in the slow cooker.
Add the broth to the slow cooker.
Top the chicken with the white chili beans.
Add the green chile salsa and green chiles.
Finally, top the green chiles with the frozen corn.
Cover and cook the chicken chili on low for five to seven hours or cook it on high for two to three hours. Be sure to cover the slow cooker before cooking.
How to Thicken White Chili
Once the meat has cooked, you need to thicken it to get a delicious creamy texture. Here is what you need:
- Butter and flour
- Milk – the higher the fat content in the milk, the creamier it will be
- Better than Bouillon chicken base
- White pepper and seasoned salt
- Sour cream
In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, whisk in the flour. Keep whisking until the mixture becomes bubbly; this will take about 2-3 minutes.
For a smooth sauce, add the milk and chicken and baste in slowly while whisking. Add a little bit until it’s soft, then gradually add more until all of the liquid is gone.
Allow the sauce to simmer for four to five minutes or until it slightly thickens. whisk it constantly while cooking to avoid lumps or scorching on the bottom of the pan. Finally, season the sauce with salt and pepper according to taste.
Remove the chicken from the crockpot and shred it into smaller pieces using two forks. Place the shredded meat back in the crockpot, then pour in the sauce and stir until everything is mixed together.
Add the sour cream to thicken your chili and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Let the chili cook for another hour, covered.
Top your soup with any (or all) of the following garnishes. We love these toppings, but feel free to get creative!
- Crushed tortilla chips or corn chips
- Sliced jalapenos for a kick of heat
- Diced red onion or sliced green onions
- Shredded cheese like white cheddar, Monterey Jack, or pepper jack cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
My family loves this white chili recipe, and I know yours will too! It’s by far the best recipe I’ve ever come across. Give it a try – your family will thank you for it! XOXO San
More Amazing Slow-Cooker Recipes
With my slow cooker, I can make anything from soup to dessert! Here are a few more dinner recipes you might like, or check out all my crockpot recipes for even more ideas.
Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 9 ounces can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup green chile salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 15.5 ounce cans white beans I used Great Northern
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Boullion chicken base
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- At the bottom of your slow cooker add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, green chile salsa, chicken broth, green chiles, corn, and beans.
- Top with lid and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- Once slow cooker has cooked for the time above in a small saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat. Once completely melted whisk in flour and continually stir until mixture is bubbly and cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and chicken base.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 4-5 minutes while constantly whisking. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove chicken and shred. Place chicken back in slow cooker and pour sauce and sour cream then stir to combine. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook on low for 1 more hour.