This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is full of flavor, easy to prepare and makes the house smell insanely amazing. Made with chicken, tomatoes, onion and a whole lot of deliciousness, it makes a large batch that feeds my family of seven plus a few more.
There really isn’t a time of year where I don’t like using my crockpot and making all things soup. From tomato to this Chicken Tortilla Soup, I love making a simple dinner that my family loves and a meal that can easily feed a crowd.
I have a few recipes that are my “go-tos” when it comes to using my crockpot, and Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of them. What I love about this version of Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot is that it’s completely versatile.
You have your core ingredients, and then all the additional toppings or ingredients you can add in or not and make this soup exactly how you want it or how your family will eat it. While I personally love it fully loaded as pictured above, my husband hates beans and corn, so to make it his way, I simply don’t add those in the soup and serve them on the side instead. So we both walk away with a bowl of soup we love.
Not only is this slow cooker soup incredibly flavorful, it is that way with just a few simple ingredients. Which makes the prep time minimal, which during the busy school, somple recipe with few ingredients is ideal to me.
My recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe has vibrant colors and just makes a stunning meal. It all starts with the deep tone of the broth, and by adding in some fresh vegetables and chicken, you have a great foundation from which to build.
I don’t just love cooking in my crock pot during the cold months – although this is when I use it most often. I love using my slow cooker during all the crazy busy months, which always fall during the fall and winter with sports for all five of our kids, including wrestling, dance, basketball, volleyball and cross country. My afternoons consist of me doing kid carpool duty to all their destinations. Throw in the occasional haircut and dental appointments, and I find I can be in the car no less than 2 hours at a time. So having something comforting, homemade and delicious when we get back from all of their events without taking up more precious time, is pure joy.
How do you make Chicken Tortilla Soup in the slow cooker or crock pot?
- Add butter to saute pan over medium heat.
- Add in peppers, onion and garlic and cook vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add to slow cooker.
- Place chicken breast on top of the vegetables, add remaining base ingredients and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred the chicken.
- Add remaining ingredients or those add-ons that you wish to add and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Serve with your choice of garnishes
What can you make in a crockpot?
Soups, dinners, even desserts! Sounds crazy right? But it is oh so easy.
Check out some fun slow cooker and crockpot desserts that we love:
Find all of our favorite slow cooker recipes here! Love your slow cooker? Check out my 50 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes here.
Then over the holidays, I love making a big batch of this Chicken Tortilla Soup. You can put it all together or simply make the base of the soup and have all the add-ins on the side, allowing each guest to customize their own.
Either way, this is fantastic to serve to a large group. It’s filling, appealing to the eye and everyone will rave how delicious it is – of course asking for the recipe, which you’re sure to kindly share.
Don’t let the busy months ahead stop you from creating fantastic, wholesome, and flavor-filled meals for your family.
This recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup will soon become a part of your monthly, maybe even weekly, dinner rotation. Make this soup your own, and be sure to share your favorite toppings and add-ins below; I would love some additional ideas. xoxo San
Other simple recipes for dinner or dessert include:
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Sausage Quiche
- Zucchini Bread
- Pretzel Hotdogs
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Crock Pot Ham
- Siclian Chicken Soup
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans chicken broth 14.5-ounce cans
- 14 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1-2 cups heavy cream if desired, it makes the soup creamier
- 1 can pinto beans drained, optional
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn optional, do not use canned
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute peppers, onion, and garlic until they are tender. Add to the slow cooker.
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker on top of the vegetables. Then add chicken broth, enchilada sauce, and all seasonings.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°.
- Remove cooked chicken and shred or chop, then place back into the soup. At this point, add any of the optional ingredients that you wish to use such as corn or beans. Add heavy cream if you want a creamier soup. Cook on high for 1 hour.
- Serve with your choice of ganishes such as fresh chopped cilantro, sour cream, and tortilla strips. Enjoy!