Chocolate banana bread is a delicious twist on classic banana bread. It’s moist, rich, and flavorful, with chocolate chips in every bite. You’ll love it for breakfast, dessert, or anytime you want a sweet snack.
Do you love banana bread? Do you love chocolate? If so, then you are going to love this chocolate banana bread recipe! This is the best banana bread recipe that I have ever tried, and it has a delicious chocolate twist.
Out of all the recipes I’ve made, banana bread is by far my favorite–and I’ve tried a lot of variations. That’s why today, I’m sharing my chocolate version with you. It’s not only delicious, but it’s also a special way to treat yourself and your loved ones. Trust me, this recipe will be your new go-to!
I tend to bake a lot at once and freeze some for later, and this bread freezes beautifully. If I don’t do that though, the loaves will only last a few days because they’re so good.
This rich, chocolatey bread is loaded with chocolate chips and stays moist for days. I think you’ll love it as much as we do!
Start with Overripe Bananas
Before you start, check to see if your bananas are ripe enough for baking. The riper the banana, the better, so wait until they’re heavily spotted before using them. You can even let them go a little further and use browned bananas; these have more flavor and will be sweeter.
If you find yourself with ripe bananas but no time to bake, don’t fret! You can easily freeze them for later use. Just peel the bananas and store them in a freezer-safe bag. When you’re ready to bake, let the bananas thaw and they’ll be ready to use!
How to Make Chocolate Banana Bread
You will need two bowls to make this recipe: one for the dry ingredients and one for the wet ones. I usually mix the dry ones in a medium bowl and put the wet ingredients in my stand mixer. Another thing you can do before making the batter is to prepare your pans, so they’re ready when needed. Spray cooking oil into two 9×5″ loaf pans, and then dust cocoa powder inside them too. Doing this allows your loaves of bread to release cleanly from the pan once they’re baked!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare the batter by mixing all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt in a medium bowl.
First, mash the bananas in a bowl until they are Broken down. Then, add oil, vanilla extract, eggs, and brown sugar. Stir until everything is combined thoroughly.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients until combined then pour into the dry mixture. Fold in chocolate chips being careful not to overmix.
To evenly divide the batter between the two pans, I like to first sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of each one.
Bake the loaves for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the bread cool for at least 20 minutes in the pan before turning it out onto a baking rack. The best way to release it from the pan is to run a butter knife around the edges, and then remove it from the pan.
It can be tempting to slice it into a warm loaf of bread, but it’s best to wait until it cools completely. The flavors will have developed more fully and the texture will be better. In fact, it tastes even better the next day!
How to Store Banana Bread
- If you keep it tightly wrapped with plastic, this bread will stay fresh for several days at room temperature. To prevent drying out, only slice the loaf when you’re ready to serve it.
- If you store the loaf in the refrigerator, it will last up to a week.
- For up to four months, this bread stays fresh in the freezer. Cool the bread entirely and then seal it with plastic wrap before putting it in a freezer-safe container. To thaw, simply leave it out on the counter or in the fridge overnight.
Each time I walk by this chocolate banana bread, I can’t resist slicing off a piece. It’s the perfect chocolate treat that the whole family loves!
More Baking Recipes to Try
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Quinoa Muffins
- Maple Pecan Coffee Cake
- Baked Blueberry Donuts
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas about 6 large bananas
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips see note
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two 9×5" loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray and dust them with cocoa powder and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl mix together the mashed bananas, oil, vanilla, eggs, and brown sugar until smooth. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean from the sticky batter.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Once the bread has cooled in the pan for about 20 minutes turn it out onto a baking rack. The easiest way to do this is to run a butter knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the bread first.