Make the EASIEST Chicken Tacos ever in your slow cooker! This four-ingredient Mexican chicken is perfect for weeknights – so easy and full of flavor.
Grab the tortillas because you will want to make these slow cooker chicken tacos! This is a super easy chicken taco recipe – all you need are four ingredients, a slow cooker, and your favorite taco toppings.
I have been making this slow cooker chicken taco recipe for years, but I never shared it with you before. I thought for a long time it was too simple – I mean, it’s literally four ingredients and you just dump everything in the crockpot and forget about it.
But then I shared it on my Instagram stories and I got tons of requests for the recipe. Then, my daughter decided she wanted to make it but when she couldn’t find the recipe on my blog she was like, “mom, you need to post it!”.
So, here we are and I can’t wait for you to try it. Sometimes the best things in life are the simplest things, right? Well, it doesn’t get any simpler than this slow cooker chicken taco meat.
Why I Love This Recipe
- Four ingredients, friends! You might already have them on hand, too.
- There are no pre-cooking steps or prep work. Just toss everything in the slow cooker, let it cook all day, and dinner is ready.
- We love this shredded Mexican chicken for tacos, but it also makes a great filling for quesadillas, enchiladas, or use it to make chicken nachos.
- It’s the best weeknight dinner because it’s so easy to make – we have it on repeat at our house.
If you need super easy dinner recipe for taco night, be sure to save this chicken taco recipe! It’s saves me when life gets busy and everyone at our house loves it. Your family will, too!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- Jarred salsa
- Taco seasoning packet
Place all of the ingredients in your slow cooker. Set the slow cooker to the low setting, cover with a lid and cook the chicken for six hours.
Remove the cooked chicken and shred it. Add it back to the slow cooker and stir to combine it with the sauce.
Serve with flour tortillas, corn tortillas, or crunchy taco shells.
Chicken Taco Toppings
There are so many ways to serve up these easy tacos! Here are some of our favorite taco toppings – mix and match them and let everyone help themselves.
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice over the top
- Sour cream
- Guacamole or diced avocado
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Diced jalapenos or bell peppers
- Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and sliced black olives
Other Ways to Serve It
I’ve used this chicken taco recipe to make all kinds of dinner – it’s so versatile.
Salad: Make a chicken taco salad with lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, corn, and add your favorite dressing – we love taco ranch dressing! Sprinkle some crushed tortilla chips over the top for crunch.
Enchiladas: Wrap the shredded chicken in flour or corn tortillas, place them in a baking dish, top with enchilada sauce and lots of cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly.
Quesadillas: Sandwich the chicken between large tortillas with cheese and salsa. Cook in a hot skillet until the tortillas are crispy and golden in spots. Serve with salsa or queso on the side for dipping.
Nachos: Top tortilla chips with the meat, cheese, beans, and salsa. Bake until the cheese melts and then add your favorite toppings.
Burritos: Wrap it up in large flour tortillas with cilantro rice, pinto beans, salsa, and cheese. Or pile it on rice in bowls to make burrito bowls with all of your favorite veggies and toppings.
You can also make this recipe with boneless skinless chicken thighs.
For extra spice, use your favorite spicy salsa or chop up a couple of chipotle peppers and add them to the slow cooker. You can also add some of your favorite hot sauce as a topping.
Crockpot chicken tacos are great to make ahead. The shredded meat will keep in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheat it in the microwave for easy dinners during the week.
Make these chicken tacos for your next taco Tuesday or anytime you want the easiest main dish ever – it’s so seriously easy you’ll have it memorized after the first time you make. I hope your family loves it like mine does – XOXO San
More Easy Family Favorites
- Ground Beef Enchilada Bake
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- 5 Ingredient Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Cashew Pork Chops
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 can Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles 10 ounces
- 10 ounces salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Place all of the ingredients in your slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to the low setting, cover with a lid and cook for 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Turn off the slow cooker.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker, stirring to combine and serve.