These delicious Carmelitas are made with layers of oatmeal crust, chocolate chips, and creamy caramel sauce. The perfect combination of flavor.
I have a feeling this carmelita recipe is going to wow your family and friends. The bars are ooey-gooey with chocolate and caramel layers with the best soft oatmeal cookie crust. Basically, a dessert bar dream made into reality. I can’t wait for you to try them.
Caramel goes well with pretty much anything, but I will say these carmelitas are one of my family’s favorite ways to eat it. I mean, who can resist layers of chocolate and caramel?
This is mainly because we love oatmeal and chocolate, so having three of our favorite ingredients in one recipe is bound to be a winner.
If you’ve never tried them, caramelitas are a type of dessert bar that has a signature gooeyness that is so incredibly good. We love them warm with a big scoop of ice cream, but they pair equally well with a cold glass of milk.
If you love oatmeal cookies, chocolate, and caramel this is the recipe for you. Not surprisingly, my kids give these rave reviews especially when I serve them with some caramel sauce on the side for dunking.
You will give these carmelitas a rave review, too, I’m sure! They are seriously the best sweet treat to finish a meal.
- Unwrapped caramel squares
- Heavy cream
- Coarse sea salt
- Melted butter
- Brown sugar
- Rolled oats
- Baking soda
- Semisweet chocolate chips
How do you make Carmelitas?
Spread the caramel into an even layer.
This recipe works best with caramels that have been melted in cream. I haven’t tested it with homemade caramel sauce from scratch or store-bought sauce. You want a sauce that is thick and creamy and making it with the caramel squares works best.
Be sure to use rolled oats and not quick-cooking oats for this recipe. You need the rolled ones for the best texture.
They should be stored and served at room temperature. Keep them in an airtight container and they should stay fresh for a few days.
Every bite of these decadent bars is filled with chocolate and caramel! It pairs wonderfully with the oatmeal cookie crust to make the best carmelitas ever. Give them a try and you’ll see, everyone will love them!
Enjoy! XOXO San
More Dessert Bars
Love these treats? You need to try these recipes, too:
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
- 32 caramel squares unwrapped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. This recipe makes an 8×8 pan; if you want to double the recipe you can use a 9×13 pan. Spray the pan with oil and line with parchment paper.
- Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth, add sea salt, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda. Measure out 1/2 cup and set aside for later. Press the remaining mixture into the bottom of the 8"x8" pan
- Bake oatmeal mixture for 10 minutes then remove from oven.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Pour caramel mixture on chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture on top.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
- *A stint in the fridge will help them cool if you’re pinched for time. They shouldn’t be served cold, but all of that molten caramel takes a long time to cool down. They should be stored and served at room temperature.