This Slow Cooker Lasagna is so easy to prepare and makes a perfectly delicious dinner. Layers of pasta, cheese, and meat sauce is a comforting meal your family will love.
Slow cooker lasagna is a much easier way to make this classic dish. The hearty meat sauce and pasta simmer together in the slow cooker for an easy hands-off dinner. No need to crank up the oven or fill up the sink with pots and pans – all you need is a skillet for the sauce and your slow cooker to bring it all together.
Lasagna is a great way to feed a crowd and it happens to be a favorite dinner at my house, but it’s not always the easiest of dishes to make. My slow cooker lasagna is everything you love about this classic pasta dish but made easy.
With traditional versions, you need a pan to make the sauce, a pot to boil the pasta and a baking dish for it all to go in the oven. That is a lot of dishes! What I love about making it in the slow cooker is that you only need one pan to prep the sauce and the slow cooker does the rest of the work. Plus, I can leave it to cook unlike when I use the oven. I’m not comfortable leaving the house with the oven on, but the slow cooker? No problem at all!
This is a hearty dinner with layers of pasta, cheese, and a delicious meat sauce made with ground beef and Italian sausage. I’ve made it for big family dinners and also for busy weeknights. It always gets rave reviews.
How to Make the Meat Sauce
You will need to make the easy meat sauce first and once you do it goes in the slow cooker and the recipe is hands-off from there. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Italian sausage
- Ground beef
- Diced red onion
- Diced red pepper
- Minced garlic
- Tomato paste
- Crushed tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
In a large pan, cook the beef and sausage together. Break them up as they cook and cook them until browned.
Add the onion, red pepper, and garlic. Stir and cook the vegetables with the meat until the onions are softened and translucent.
Add the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and seasoning. Stir and bring the sauce to a boil and then remove it from the heat.
How to Layer the Ingredients
Once you have your meat sauce made all you have to do is layer the ingredients in your slow cooker. You will need:
- The sauce
- Uncooked noodles
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
Start by scooping two cups of the sauce into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Next, place uncooked noodles on top of the sauce.
Top the noodles with two more cups of sauce followed by shredded mozzarella cheese.
Repeat these layers two more times finishing with a layer of sauce on top. Hold off adding the last layer of cheese until the lasagna has finished cooking.
Cover the slow cooker and cook it on low for four to six hours. As it cooks, the pasta will absorb all of the delicious flavors in the sauce until it’s nice and tender.
When it’s done cooking, sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top and cover until the cheese has melted.
Ways to Change-Up this Recipe
- We love the combination of ground beef and Italian sausage, but you can use all beef or all sausage if that’s your preference. You can also substitute the beef for ground turkey.
- I use skim milk mozzarella cheese, but you can use regular mozzarella cheese if you like. I don’t recommend using fresh mozzarella cheese because it could make your lasagna too watery, so be sure to use low-moisture mozzarella cheese.
- For a pop of freshness, garnish with chopped fresh parsley or thin-sliced basil. It’s always nice to serve some grated Parmesan cheese on the side, too.
Does Homemade Lasagna Keep Well?
Yes, it does! If you have leftovers just wrap them tightly and keep them in the refrigerator for easy lunches and dinners. You can also freeze the leftovers in freezer-safe containers for up to three months.
Want More Slow Cooker Recipes?
- Tuscan Tortellini Soup is an easy recipe you can make in your slow cooker. It’s so cozy and delicious – perfect for a cold night.
- Chicken Parmesan is another classic Italian-American dish made easy in your crock pot.
- My Aunt Dana’s Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce really is special. Simple ingredients and easy to make, yet so delicious and flavorful at the same time.
- For even more ideas be sure to check out my post with over 30 recipes for your slow cooker. So many great ideas to choose from.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 purple onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 ounces canned tomato paste
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 9 lasagna sheets uncooked
- 2 cups skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, cook sausage and beef over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Cook until fully cooked.
- Add in onion, red pepper, and garlic, season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow the vegetables to cook for 3-5 minutes until onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in tomato paste, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Using a measuring cup add 2 cups meat mixture into bottom of slow cooker. Layer 3 lasagna noodles (uncooked), top with 2 cups of meat mixture and then 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Repeat noodles and meat for two more layers.
- Set slow cooker on low, cover and cook for 4-6 hours. Once done cooking, sprinkle lasagna with cheese, return the lid and cover until cheese has melted.
- As for dessert, Marie Callender's takes special care to make each pie look and taste homemade. By using fresh ingredients like hand-picked blackberries and tried and true recipes, each pie will taste like you made it from scratch.