These Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are incredibly delicious. They are everything a chocolate chip cookie should be, soft & chewy.
The difference between these chocolate chip cookies and your traditional ones is that they are dairy-free and egg-free. So those with allergies, like our friend Olivia can still enjoy them too!
I love cookies, they are one of my favorite sweet treats, morning, noon, or night. I pretty much love the dough as much as I love a warm cookie dunked in a glass of milk.
So when one of my daughter’s friends, Olivia found out she has an allergy to dairy and eggs, therefore no longer able to enjoy some of her favorite things, ie, cheese. I had to start working on some recipes, that she could enjoy.
I love sending treats with my kids to school to share with their friends at lunch. Both my middle-school and high-schoolers will take and share them, no one is ever gonna turn down some good food, right? And I didn’t want to leave Liv out, I mean I know how much she loved it when Jersey shared because she was always the first to say thank you.
With chocolate chip cookies being the classic that they are, they were the first cookie recipe that I made, just for Liv.
Liv is one of those once-in-a-lifetime friends. You know those people that come into your life and just make you better, that is Liv for Jersey. That is Liv and her family to us.
Liv lives larger than life and I don’t mean by extravagances, I mean by her heart. She is her friend’s biggest fan on and off the court. She is a competitor and fierce but also gives the best hugs and her smile goes on for days.
Liv’s excitement and zest on the court whether playing basketball or volleyball are unmatched and it makes games that may be more difficult to watch, bearable. She is just a gem. So naturally, she deserves all the dairy-free and egg-free treats she desires.
One of the first things that Jersey asked when she saw these cookies was, “Do vegan cookies taste the same?”
My answer is “yes and no”. Helpful, right? You see vegan chocolate chip cookies have the traditional vanilla batter with a touch of sweet but slightly salty taste and the chocolate chips add a little bit of crunch and rich-chocolate flavor.
The thing you have to get used to when going from traditional cookies to vegan is the type of “butter” or oil you use. This will affect the flavor, so in the end, you have to find what flavor profile works for you.
VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE INGREDIENTS
- Brown sugar
- Canola oil
- Oat milk – you could really sub anything non-dairy, like almond milk as well
- Vanilla extract – I would use pure vanilla extract, you could even try vanilla paste, but if you do, use less, about teaspoons instead of tablespoons
- Salt – I increased the salt compared to my typical cookie recipes, because of the lack of salt butter provides in cookie recipes + it helps with the flavor of the oil.
- Flour – I used all-purpose
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Dairy-free chocolate chips – I used the simple truth organic (Kroger stores) brand and love how they came out, see the ingredient picture so you can find them as well.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, oat milk, and vanilla.
In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine until everything is evenly distributed and there are no clumps of flour.
Add the chocolate to the mixture and stir until it is fully incorporated. Cover and chill for 1-3 hours.
When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Scoop the cookie dough using a cookie dough scooper, I used a 1.5-tablespoon scoop. Place the cookie dough at least 1 inch apart from one another. They will spread during baking, so this step is necessary. I was able to get 15 cookies on a cookie sheet pan.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-13 minutes. Your cookie will have lightly brown-crispy edges with a fudgy center.
OTHER COOKIE RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- Healthy Cookie Dough (Edible, Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free)
- Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- Frosted M&M Cookies
- German Chocolate Cake Cookies
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Cookies
- Reese’s Pieces Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups dairy-free chocolate chips
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, oat milk, and vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine until everything is evenly distributed and there are no clumps of flour.
- Add the chocolate to the mixture and stir until it is fully incorporated.
- Cover and chill for 1-3 hours.
- Scoop the cookie dough using a cookie dough scooper, I used a 1.5-tablespoon scoop. Place the cookie dough at least 1 inch apart from one another. They will spread during baking, so this step is necessary. I was able to get 15 cookies on a cookie sheet pan.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 12-13 minutes. Your cookie will have lightly brown-crispy edges with a fudgy center.