These Whole Wheat Tortillas are the best I’ve tried. Perfect for wraps, quesadillas, burritos, or as a side for your favorite tortilla soup.
I have tried several tortilla recipes before but can’t find one that beats this! Try it you won’t be disappointed!
What to serve with whole wheat tortillas
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbecue Chicken
- One Pan Southwestern Pork Tenderloin
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer set with a dough hook, pour in the flour, oil, and salt. Beat with the paddle until crumbly, about 3 to 5 minutes. Scrape the sides as needed.
- With the mixer running, gradually add the warm water and continue mixing until the dough is smooth; about 3 minutes.
- Take out the dough and divide it into 12 equal-sized pieces. I do this by making the dough into a big log shape that is about 8 – 10 inches long. Then I cut it in the middle. Then I cut each of those pieces in the middle and so on until you have 12 pieces.
- Using the palms of your hand roll each piece into a round ball and flatten it out on a baking tray. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes or up to one hour.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet, griddle or 12-inch skillet over med-high heat. The pan should be fairly hot before you begin cooking the tortillas.
- On a lightly floured board or countertop, use a rolling pin to turn each ball into an 8 to 10-inch flat circle (measure against your recipe if printed on an 8.5X11 sheet of paper). Be careful not to use more than a teaspoon or two of flour when rolling out each ball into a tortilla because too much excess flour will burn in the pan.
- Grease the pan with a touch of oil and then carefully transfer each tortilla, one at a time, to the pan and cook until puffy and slightly brown, about 30 to 45 seconds per side. Set aside on a plate to cool slightly.
Kids review: They love these!!!!
Husband note: He says he never wants to return to store-bought after having these… I agree.