This Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbecue Chicken is a family favorite. The smoky heat from the chipotle and the sweetness from the BBQ sauce makes a great combo.
Easy BBQ chicken made in the slow cooker and flavored with pantry spices and BBQ sauce! My family absolutely loves barbecue chicken, especially my daughter Jojo and I love making slow cooker barbecue chicken recipes because it’s so easy. This chipotle BBQ chicken is a set it and forget it recipe you will love.
When it comes to weeknight dinners, this chipotle BBQ chicken is one of the easiest. Grab a pack of chicken and gather up a few pantry ingredients and throw them all in the slow cooker. Let it do its magic and – voila! – a delicious dinner is ready a few hours later.
I just love slow cooker recipes during the week – they’ve saved me many times! I love this shredded BBQ chicken because it’s literally a mix and go recipe – you don’t need to brown the chicken first. Just combine everything in the slow cooker and you’re done.
You can also serve it all different ways. When I first made this Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbecue Chicken, I actually served it as pizza. I took some naan, topped it with the Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbecue Chicken, thinly sliced shallots and Monterrey Jack cheese.
My kids loved it. And I had to laugh because my hubby only took half of his pizza, saying he was “full,” but quickly returned for the second half.
It also makes the best shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches and wraps. Sometimes I toss the cold leftovers into a salad – there are many options with this one.
The flavors are amazing – I love the smoky heat from the chipotle seasoning. It marries perfectly with the sweetness of the barbecue sauce. It’s so simple, so delicious, and a winner every time I make it.
- BBQ sauce
- Chipotle chili powder
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
How do you make Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbecue Chicken?
Place your crock pot on low, add chicken. Then mix all of the rest of the ingredients together and pour sauce mixture over the top of the chicken. The toss the chicken to coat.
Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or high for 2 to 3 hours, until the chicken is falling apart and tender. Shred the chicken for serving.
You can serve it so many ways – here are some favorites:
- Spoon it over cooked white rice or brown rice. Or try cauliflower rice.
- For a comforting dinner, try serving it with some creamy mashed potatoes.
- Use it to make pizza – spread it on flatbread, naan, or your favorite pizza dough. Add your favorite cheese and toppings.
- It makes the best pulled chicken sandwiches and wraps. Try hamburger buns, sliced bread, or flour tortillas.
Can you use chicken thighs?
Yes, you can use the same amount of boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe.
How long does slow cooker shredded chicken keep?
Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for three to four days. You can also freeze it for several months!
This easy chipotle chicken is in our monthly rotation and it’s a great to take to family and friends who need a meal. I always use my favorite slow cooker to take meals to friends, because it has the lid the fastens! A lifesaver for when driving anywhere with food! Plus I just love the color, who wouldn’t?
I can’t wait for you to try this Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbecue Chicken. You will quickly see why it has become our family favorite. XOXO San
More BBQ Recipes
- Best Ever Sweet Barbecue Chicken
- Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Taquitos
- Sweet & Tangy Barbecue Meatballs
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbecue Chicken
- 18 ounce bottle of barbecue sauce I used Baby Ray’s original
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- Place your crockpot on low, add chicken. Then mix all of the rest of the ingredients together and pour sauce mixture over the top of the chicken. Then toss the chicken to coat.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or high for 2 to 3 hours, until the chicken is falling apart and tender.
- Serve with bread, naan, over rice, on top of a salad, even rolled up in a tortilla, so many things to do with this amazing Slow Cooker Chipotle Barbecue Chicken.