Cajun Chicken Pasta with sausage, colorful peppers, and shrimp is a quick and easy one-pan recipe with a Cajun flair.
A family favorite of ours is about to be a family favorite of yours. This Cajun Chicken Pasta is hearty, bursting with flavor, and so easy to make. The medley of chicken, shrimp, and sausage is perfection and perfectly balanced with the crisp-tender bell peppers.
This easy Cajun chicken pasta is such a special recipe. Not only is it a dish my whole family loves, but it’s a recipe from my dad who is a wonderful cook.
If you’ve been reading my blog, you already know my dad was a firefighter and has a lot of easy, wonderful firehouse recipes up his sleeve. This Cajun pasta is one of the best – it’s hearty, filling, and makes a big batch.
My dad loves it so much it’s now one of his go-to recipes for his catering company, Fire Hot Catering, and he was so excited to share it with you all here on my blog.
- This is a simple one-pot pasta recipe that is loaded with flavors and textures. It’s so easy, but it doesn’t taste simple – it’s all about the flavor.
- It has a combination of chicken, sausage, and shrimp cooked with Cajun spices and fresh vegetables. So, it’s hearty but still light.
- You can easily halve this recipe, but the leftovers are wonderful so don’t be afraid to make a big batch.
Our Favorite Cajun Seasoning
There are quite a few Cajun seasoning brands but for us, there is only one: McCormick’s Cajun seasoning. It is the best and the only one we use. They are not all created equal and McCormick’s has the best balance of spices and heat.
If you can’t find it at your local grocery store, you can find it on Amazon. That’s where we order it!
- Penne pasta
- Olive oil
- Boneless, skinless, chicken breast cut into cubes
- Sliced Polska kielbasa
- Sliced bell peppers – we use red, yellow, and green.
- Sliced sweet onion
- Peeled and deveined shrimp
- Cajun seasoning
- Grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions and then drain and set it aside.
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
Saute the chicken until it just starts to turn brown on the outside. Add the kielbasa and cook for about three minutes.
Stir in the sliced peppers and onions and cook for another three to five minutes. Add in Cajun seasoning.
Add the shrimp to the pot and cook for about two to three minutes or until they are cooked through.
Add the pasta and cheese to the pan and stir to combine.
I like to serve it with extra shredded Parmesan on the side so everyone can add more if they like.
This recipe makes a big batch that serves ten. For our family of seven, that means we always have some leftovers. The leftovers keep well for a few days in the refrigerator – just warm them in the microwave.
Sometimes I just reheat the leftovers, but sometimes I make a batch of my light Alfredo sauce and spoon it over the pasta. I also add a touch more seasoning to wake up the flavors – it’s delicious and makes it taste like a new meal.
You can easily adjust this recipe – if you don’t like shrimp, leave them out and add more chicken and sausage. Or, just do one type of meat if that’s what you prefer.
This dish holds a special place in my heart, so from my dad’s firehouse recipe file to your kitchen – I hope you give this Cajun chicken pasta recipe a try!
Enjoy! XOXO San
More Easy Pasta Recipes
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 lb Polska Kielbasa sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced we use one red, one green, and one yellow
- 1 large sweet onion sliced
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning we use McCormicks
- 1 cup parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the chicken until it just starts to turn brown on the outside.
- Add the kielbasa and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced peppers and onions and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add in cajun seasoning.
- Add the shrimp to the pot and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Place the pasta and parmesan in the pot and stir to fully combine. Serve with additional parmesan if desired, and enjoy!