Creamy Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta is rich and creamy pasta bake. It will be your new favorite way to eat Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta has the creamiest cheese sauce with tender bites of chicken, ham, and pasta in every bite. It’s the coziest of cozy comfort food dinners your family will love.
I love pasta bake recipes like this chicken cordon bleu pasta. You can prepare whenever you have time, for me that is in the morning after kids get to school, then bake it right before dinner. It is just as helpful as a slow cooker meal.
My all-time favorite pasta bake dish is my Chicken Fettuccine Bake, and whenever I make a new one, I always use the base of that recipe to start it off, it includes chicken broth, flour, and half and half instead of heavy cream. So there are fewer calories too with just as much creaminess.
Creamy Chicken Pasta Casserole
I have been tweaking and working on this recipe for a while because I wanted a chicken pasta with the creamiest cheese sauce possible. Have you ever had a baked pasta that was dry? Yep, me, too, and I can promise this chicken cordon bleu pasta is the opposite.
The flavor is amazing, too. The shallot, ham, and Swiss cheese are the perfect combination. Add a crispy breadcrumb topping and you get an amazing contrast in textures.
In fact, I prefer this yummy pasta dish over traditional chicken cordon bleu – it’s that good. Creamy, rich, hearty, and comforting. It checks all the boxes for a delicious family meal.
It’s also the perfect meal to share. It is so easy to double this dish or any of my pasta bake dishes. It really adds no extra time. Then I package it up and deliver it to people who might need a meal or someone who has been on my mind. It’s nice because they can bake it when they need it.
I’m so excited for you to try this recipe – if you’re craving comfort food it will not disappoint.
- Boiled and drained linguine – you can also use spaghetti, fettuccine, penne pasta, bow ties, or another pasta shape that you like.
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Grated Swiss cheese – you will need some for the sauce and the topping.
- Half and half
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Dijon mustard
- Minced garlic cloves
- Diced shallot
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Diced cooked ham – it’s a great way to use leftover ham if you have some after a holiday meal.
- Bread crumbs
How to Make It
Heat oven to 350°F. and spray an 8×8” or oval baking dish with cooking spray.
Cook the chicken in a sauté pan with a little olive oil and season it with salt and pepper. Cook it for five to seven minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F.
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and cook them for a few minutes. Stir in the flour and then slowly add the broth. Bring the broth to a boil while stirring and then take the pot off the heat.
Stir in the half and half, cheese, Dijon mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper. Add in the chicken, ham, and cooked pasta. Toss gently to coat everything evenly in the sauce and then transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
Top the chicken casserole with grated cheese and sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake it for 30 minutes or until warmed through.
If you’re short on time you can use shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken to make this recipe. It reduces the cook time making it an even easier weeknight dinner.
I love Swiss cheese but you can also use shredded Gruyere cheese which is a little richer and nuttier in flavor.
Pretty much any pasta shape will work in this recipe, but I would avoid really little kinds of pasta like orzo.
The first time I made this dish for my family I was very happy because they all loved it. Even my son Madden, our extremely picky eater. Although it did take him almost 30 minutes to try it, once he did it was smoother sailing. Jojo, our 9-year-old daughter LOVED it, she had seconds, before the rest of us were even halfway done.
Food is a comfort thing to me, especially pasta recipes so any time I find a winner with the family I have to share it with you.
Give it a try soon when you want to offer a little comfort to your family or to a friend who might need a hot meal. It’s so delicious down to the last creamy, cozy bite. Enjoy! XOXO San
More Recipes You Will Love
Love Chicken Cordon Bleu? Give these other main dish recipes a try:
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Creamy Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake
- 1/2 pound linguine you can use any pasta you desire, boiled to al dente and drained
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 4 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 22 ounces chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup Swiss cheese grated
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 shallot diced
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 lb. pre-cooked ham steak cubed
- 1 cup Swiss cheese grated
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray baking dish; square 8×8 or oval dish, with cooking spray. Cook pasta as directed and drain.
- Cook chicken in a saute pan with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper, sear until both sides are a crisp golden brown and chicken is cooked 165°F internally, about 5-7 minutes.
- In a large pot melt butter over medium heat, add garlic and shallot, cook for a few minutes until tender, then stir in the flour. Let it simmer for a few minutes, then gradually stir in broth.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly then remove from heat. Stir in half-and-half, cheese, Dijon mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper. Add in chicken and ham.
- Add pasta to chicken mixture; toss gently to mix well. Spoon into baking dish. Top with 1 cup of Swiss cheese, and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until heated through.