Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy, delicious dinner that only takes 15 minutes to make. Packed with protein and flavor, this recipe uses either ground pork, chicken, or beef and tastes like an egg roll without the wrapper.
All of the fantastic flavors you love from your favorite fried Chinese appetizer, but lighter and quicker, all in one skillet! This “Egg Roll in a Bowl” is an easy and nutritious dinner that the whole family will love (even the picky eaters).
My sister initially told me this recipe, and I have seen it all over the internet in recent years. After focusing on macro-friendly eating, this recipe fits the bill and helps me eat healthier versions of my favorite Chinese foods.
Below is a list of ingredients you will need to make this egg roll-in-a-bowl recipe.
- 1 lb ground turkey beef or your choice of ground meat, chicken, and beef also work
- Coleslaw mix (prepackaged)
- Shredded carrots
- Bell peppers
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- Salt & pepper
- Soy sauce
- Green onions
- Hoisin sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Toasted sesame oil
Do you put eggs in an egg roll in a bowl?
Contrary to its name, a traditional egg roll does not have egg as an ingredient. Rather, it gets its title from the wrapper–which often contains eggs–that holds everything together. My family personally loves the flavor and extra protein that adding an egg at the end of cooking gives this Egg Roll in the Bowl recipe, so we highly recommend it! Check out other recipe variations and options below.
Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe variations/options.
You can add any other vegetables, such as mushrooms, broccolini, zucchini, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash. Just be sure to prepare them before adding them at the end.
You can select any ground meat for this recipe, but we prefer turkey because it’s healthier. If you’re using turkey, your kids won’t even realize they’re eating it! Chicken, beef, and pork are all also good choices.
If you’re looking to make a meal without meat, tofu is always a great option. You could even add some scrambled eggs – like you would with fried rice – and it would be so delicious! This is something we often do in our own homes.
This Egg Roll in a Bowl is healthy and fast and only requires one pan to wash afterward. In other words, it’s the perfect meal for a busy weeknight! The fresh flavors will be a hit with your entire family, and it’ll take less than 30 minutes to make.
If you liked this recipe, here are some others that you might enjoy:
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 1 lb ground turkey beef or ground chicken would work as well
- 16 ounces coleslaw mix prepackaged
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup bell peppers diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- To begin, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add your meat of choice and onion, cook it until it's no longer pink. Then, remove any excess liquid or fat; return the cooked meat to the skillet.
- Add diced peppers, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and rice vinegar to the skillet. Cook, stirring, for a few more minutes (until peppers are tender).
- After adding soy sauce, hoisin sauce, coleslaw mix and carrots to the skillet, cook while stirring for 5 to 7 minutes or until cabbage is wilted.