This Italian Sausage Soup is insanely delicious and easy to make, and even your picky eaters will love it. A creamy-pasta-filled meal made with a tomato base & flavorful Italian sausage.
This recipe for Italian Soup is one of our family favorites. We love cheese, and the more cheese a recipe has, the more we love it.
This Italian Soup is one of my favorites because it’s loaded with cheese. And besides the cheese, another great thing about this soup recipe is how easy it is to make.
I love being able to quickly whip up an amazing meal using only a few ingredients. This is perfect for busy weeknights when I need to get dinner on the table fast, or if I’m taking a dish to pass at a friend’s house. It’s also a nice change from more traditional Italian fare like lasagna or spaghetti.
To me, some of the best comfort food is cheesy pasta. The more cheese and sauce, the better. I love how simple they are to make – just throwing everything in a pot and letting it simmer.
This Creamy Italian Sausage Soup is the perfect meal for any occasion. It’s hearty enough to be the main course but can also serve as an appetizer or first course at a party. The soup is very easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. Plus, it makes a lot so you’ll definitely have leftovers if you’re not serving a large group.
I created this soup to be easy, so I used a jarred marinara sauce. This both simplifies the recipe and ingredient list, as well as adds tons of flavor. You could absolutely use your own homemade sauce too.
Additionally, while you could easily use any sort of pasta, I grabbed penne noodles because they are aesthetically pleasing in the soup and don’t get mushy like some other kinds of pasta can. Finally, to make this dish cheesy and creamy Mozzarella cheese was used.
Ingredients for Italian Sausage Soup
- Italian sausage
- Yellow onion
- Marinara Sauce
- Penne Pasta
- Chicken broth
- Half and half, heavy cream or whole milk
- Canned Whole Tomatoes
- Diced tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
How do you make this recipe for Italian Soup?
In a pot, cook the pasta according to the package directions with six cups of water.
After the pasta is done cooking, rinse it with cold water and drain the water. Set the pasta aside for later use.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot. Add sausage, onion, and garlic; cook until the sausage is done. Drain grease from sausage and set sausage aside.
Over medium-high heat, pour in the chicken broth, and whole tomatoes – breaking them into smaller pieces as you add them to the pan, diced tomatoes, Barilla marinara sauce, Italian seasoning, and heavy cream.
Slowly bring to a boil while stirring, then reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the sausage mixture, butter, and two cups of shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese into the pot. Simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
Stir the contents of the pan every few minutes to avoid burning. Remove from heat once finished. To finish, stir in the rest of the shredded Mozzarella cheese.
Add the pasta to the sauce and serve.
For an extra bit of flavor, I love to top this soup with a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and Italian seasoning.
More soup recipes
On those nights when I can’t muster up the energy to come up with something new, I always fall back on soup. It’s easy and there are endless possibilities. Here are a few of my favorites.
What can I serve with this Italian Soup recipe?
Don’t forget to pin this Creamy Italian Sausage Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Creamy Italian Sausage Soup
- 16 ounces mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jar Barilla Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 lb Barilla Penne Pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups half and half, heavy cream or whole milk
- 29 ounces whole tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cups shredded Gambilin Mozzerella cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large pot fill with 6 cups of water and cook pasta according to package directions.
Once pasta is completely cooked, rinse with cold water and drain. Set pasta aside for later.
- Using the same pot, heat 2 tablespoon olive oil. Once heated add sausage, onion and garlic; cook until sausage is completely cooked through.
- Drain grease from sausage and set sausage aside.
- Place the same pot over medium-high heat and add chicken broth, whole tomatoes – squeezing the whole tomatoes with your hand so that it breaks them up as you are pouring them in the the pan, diced tomatoes, Barilla marinara sauce, Italian seasoning and heavy cream. Bring to a slow boil, stirring constantly, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in sausage mixture, butter, 2 cups shredded Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Simmer over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir every few minutes so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat. Stir in remaining shredded Mozzarella cheese. Stir in the pasta and serve immediately.I love to top the soup with a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and Italian seasoning.