Chili Con Carne – a hearty chili made with beef, onions, salsa, tomato sauce, and green chiles.
This recipe for chilli con carne has become our favorite fall dish. Whether we serve it with cornbread, chips, or over a hot dog we all love this easy & delicious recipe.
For over a decade now my husband and I have been arguing about who makes the best chili. I always made the point that his recipe isn’t really chili because it doesn’t have any beans.
Then a few years back we entered a chili cook-off and really we didn’t care about who won overall what we did care about was who had the most votes between the two of us.
To my dismay, Jake won. I have never lived that day down.
To decide whether his chili was indeed a chili I Googled to find out what chili was called with no beans, and here is what I found. Chili con carne originated as a hearty stew with beef, tomatoes, and chiles. People have just gotten used to calling it chili and add beans.
How do you make this recipe?
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and sauté for 10 minutes, or until the meat is browned and the onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.
- Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix, and green chiles. Mix well, bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-2 hours.
Is chili the same as chili con carne?
Yes, they are the same, the difference is that con carne means it is meatier and traditionally has no beans.
So I had to put my hubby’s recipe online, of course, my variation of it and I would love to have a rematch. I am sure that this Classic Chili Con Carne would win. Enjoy! XOXO San
Check out how easy this recipe is to make!
Check out these other delicious recipes:
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Blue Ribbon Chili (with beans)
- Buffalo Chicken White Chili
- Crockpot Taco ChiliChili
- Cheese Fries for a Crowd
Don’t forget to pin this chili recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
What to serve with this recipe:
Chili Con Carne
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 – 28 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 cup salsa
- 2 – 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 10 tablespoons chili seasoning
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and sauté for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.
- Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and green chiles. Mix well, bring to a slow boil overr medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-2 hours.