Chili Chicken Tacos are a super easy slow cooker recipe for weeknight dinners. All you need is some chicken and a few pantry ingredients!
If you need an easy dinner recipe, chili chicken tacos are the answer! This was an “accidental” dinner I made recently when I found myself short on time and ingredients. My pantry came to the rescue and what I thought would be just a simple dinner turned out fantastic.
My family LOVES tacos and this slow cooker chicken chili is my kids’ new #1 favorite dinner. It’s so simple to make and I never expected it to be such a hit! For me it was a desperate attempt to get something in the slow cooker for dinner – for them, the recipe turned out to be their new favorite tacos.
Easy Chili Tacos with Chicken
When I say this is an “accidental” dinner I mean that I definitely had an idea of what I wanted to make – chicken tacos – but when I gathered up the ingredients I realized there was no taco seasoning in my pantry.
I didn’t have enough time to mix up my own taco seasoning so instead, I grabbed a can of chili off the pantry shelf. It has many of the same seasonings, right? So, I figured, what the heck, chili chicken tacos it is!
I added a few extra pantry spices and combined them with the chili and chicken in the crockpot. After it all simmered for hours, I shredded the chicken and used the chicken chili as a taco filling.
This is hands-down my favorite kind of easy recipe – simple, so quick, and delicious! It was the happiest of dinner accidents, for sure, my whole family gobbled it up.
Chili chicken tacos are a great way to switch up taco night – it’s definitely not something I would have thought of had I not been in a rush and short on ingredients. But sometimes the best ideas are born out of necessity, right?
If you want an easy slow cooker recipe, you need to give this chicken taco recipe a try. The prep time is so fast! You might even have the ingredients on hand so you can make it tonight.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Canned chili with no beans – I love Hormel.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder
How to Make Slow Chili Chicken
Place all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cook the chicken and chili on low for six hours.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it. Place the shredded chicken back in the slow cooker and stir to combine it with the chili.
How to Make the Tacos
Fill flour tortillas, corn tortillas or crispy taco shells with the shredded chili chicken.
Add your favorite toppings! Here are the ones we love:
- Shredded lettuce and tomatoes
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- A dollop of sour cream, guacamole, or green chile sauce
- Finely chopped jalapeno
- Diced avocado, red onion, or sliced scallions
- Your favorite salsa or pico de gallo
- Fresh squeezed lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
Instead of chicken breasts, you can use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
My husband hates beans so I go with a no bean chili, but feel free to use your favorite canned chili with or without beans. There are tons of options!
The easiest way to switch up this recipe is with the toppings – use whatever you have on hand!
Other Ways to Serve Slow Cooker Chili Chicken
You can use the chili chicken for more than just tacos – here are other ways to serve it keep things interesting!
- It makes the best topping for nachos. Spoon it over tortilla chips, sprinkle on some cheese, and bake them until the cheese is melted. Dress up the nachos with your favorite toppings for serving.
- Use the filling to make tostados with some lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
- Roll it up in large flour tortillas for chicken burritos.
- Make chicken taco bowls and serve the chili chicken over rice with all of your favorite toppings.
These yummy chili chicken tacos are in our permanent dinner rotation now – my family might protest if they aren’t! Give them a try and you’ll love how much easier (and delicious!) taco night is – Enjoy! XOXO San
More Dinner Recipes
- Southwestern BBQ Chicken and Veggies
- Crockpot Chipotle Chicken
- Creamy Green Chile Zucchini Enchiladas
- Margarita Chicken with Black Beans
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board to make for later.
Slow Cooker Chili Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 can Hormel Chili with no beans
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and stir in spices
- Set the slow cooker to low, cover, and cook for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred, then stir back into the slow cooker.
- Serve with tortillas and your favorite toppings. Enjoy!