This Beef Enchilada Casserole is an easy-to-make dinner that’s hearty, cozy, and delicious!
When my family craves Mexican food, I love making this easy beef enchilada casserole. It’s easier than traditional enchiladas – mix everything, spread it in a baking dish, and put it into the oven. It has a Frito crust, seasoned ground beef, and a creamy, cheesy filling. It only takes about 10 minutes to prep!
I love enchilada bakes – they’re so easy, and you get all the flavor without all the hassle of filling and rolling tortillas. And this beef enchilada bake is always a family favorite! A go-to when my kiddos want Tex-Mex, but I need something easy to make. A win-win!
I borrowed some ideas from my chicken enchilada casserole for this easy casserole and turned it into a ground beef enchilada casserole. It has savory beef, creamy cheese filling, and super-easy corn chips crust. The best part is that the prep time is only about 10 minutes.
My kids call it Frito pie because of the corn chips, but I call it my favorite easy dinner for Taco Tuesday! We love it with crisp lettuce, diced tomatoes, and some tortillas on the side, but you can serve it just as it is straight from the pan.
Make it, and I know it will be your new family’s favorite recipe. The perfect easy recipe for weeknights and perfect for feeding a hungry family – I think you will love it!
I love to use ground beef for this recipe, but ground turkey is a great sub.
You can add beans like pinto beans or black beans – reduce the amount of ground beef by half.
Sometimes I sub-green enchilada sauce for the red sauce for a different flavor. You can use homemade enchilada sauce or make it easy with your favorite store-bought brand.
Instead of a Mexican cheese blend, use shredded pepper jack cheese, cheddar cheese, or Monterey jack cheese.
Add more toppings like sliced black olives, diced jalapenos, diced red onion, chopped fresh cilantro, or sliced green onions. There are a lot of options!
My kiddos love some warm corn tortillas or flour tortillas on the side.
Storage and Reheating Tips
Leftover beef enchilada bake will stay in the refrigerator for three to four days. If you have leftover lettuce and tomatoes, store them in a separate container.
It’s so easy to reheat in the microwave for easy lunches and dinners.
Can you make beef enchilada casserole ahead?
This is a great recipe for an easy dinner or to take to a friend who needs a hot meal.
Brown the meat and allow it to cool to room temperature before mixing it with the other ingredients. Assemble the bake as instructed, and then cover the casserole dish tightly with aluminum foil.
Store it in the refrigerator until you can bake it, or take it to a friend. Include the baking instructions – all they have to do is preheat the oven and enjoy!
You can assemble the casserole a day in advance so it’s ready to bake the next day.
If you’re craving comfort food, you should try this beef enchilada casserole recipe. Your whole family will love it – mine does! Enjoy! XOXO San
More Mexican Favorites
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Creamy Mexican Chicken Bake
- 4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Chile Verde
- Olive oil
- Ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- Red enchilada sauce
- Sour cream
- Canned diced green chiles
- Cream of chicken
- Chili powder
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Chopped lettuce and tomato for garnish
How to Make Enchilada Casserole
Brown the beef in oil a large skillet and season it with salt and pepper.
Combine the enchilada sauce, sour cream, cream of chicken, cumin, and chili powder in a mixing bowl.
Add the shredded cheese and stir to combine and then stir in the browned beef.
Spread the Fritos in a 9×13” baking dish.
Spread the cheese and ground beef mixture on top.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the filling.
Bake the casserole for 30 to 35 minutes at 350°F or until it’s bubbling hot and the cheese is melted.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board.
Easy Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 19 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 1/2 cups finely shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 9.25 ounce bag of Fritos chips
- 1/2 head of lettuce chopped, for topping
- 1 roma tomato chopped, for topping
- In a medium skillet heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook ground beef until browned, season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl mix together enchilada sauce, sour cream, cream of chicken, cumin, chili powder, 1 1/2 cups Mexican blend cheese, and beef. Stir together until well combined.
- In a glass 9×13" pan, spread Frito chips on the bottom, add beef mixture on top of the chips, and then sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until warm and bubbly and cheese is melted on top.