This Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake is a creamy, cheesy twist on the classic meal using Fritos in place of tortillas. A delicious meal made in just 30 minutes.
A layered chicken enchilada casserole is a favorite family dinner that is so comforting and cozy! Cheese, chicken, and enchilada sauce baked with Fritos is a fun twist on chicken enchiladas.
My sister, Nicole, would always make me this every time we had a baby shower. It’s her twist on classic chicken enchiladas, where instead of using the traditional flour or corn tortillas, she uses Frito chips. This makes it super easy to assemble! It’s such a quick and delicious recipe.
With back-to-school, dance classes, & sporting events taking up this upcoming month, I needed a few meals I could make, bake, and serve in less than 30 minutes. So here is an easy classic dish with a twist, making it easy for mom to feed the family on busy nights.
- This is an easy enchilada bake! I like to make it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs but I’ve also skipped that cooking step and made it with shredded rotisserie chicken. Makes it even easier!
- Choose your favorite enchilada sauce at the store or try my favorite homemade red enchilada sauce. Works great both ways.
- I use cheddar cheese and a Mexican cheese blend so every bite has lots of warm melted cheese. It’s serious comfort food!
- Of course, we have the Fritos! I love them in this casserole – they add a salty corn tortilla flavor. Some of the chips soften and others stay a little crunchy so the casserole has a great texture.
Overall, this is a winner for my whole family. The kids love the creamy cheese and chicken filling! They also love the Fritos and always ask for a few on the side so they have a few crunchy ones for dipping into all of the layers.
- Olive oil
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- Salt and black pepper
- Red enchilada sauce
- Sour cream
- Cream of chicken soup
- Chili powder
- Fritos corn chips
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How do you make Chicken Enchilada Bake?
In a 1-quart casserole dish, spread the corn chips in an even layer.
Add the chicken mixture on top of the chips, and then sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Bake uncovered at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken enchilada casserole is warm, bubbly, and the cheese is melted on top.
The casserole is delicious plain, but like traditional enchiladas, we love to add some toppings! Here are a few we love – mix and match your favorites!
- Chopped lettuce like iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Diced avocado or a scoop of guacamole
- A dollop of sour cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Running short on time? Skip cooking the chicken and use a store-bought rotisserie instead. Shred or chop the meat and mix it with the other filling ingredients.
You can assemble the bake ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
We love the leftovers! Store leftover chicken enchilada bake in the refrigerator for three to four days. Warm it up in the microwave for easy meals.
Thanks to my sister, Nicole, for this easy chicken enchilada bake – my life just got easier, and, now, so did yours. Make this cozy 30-minute dinner for your family and I know they will love it as much as mine does. Enjoy! XOXO San
More Comforting Casserole Recipes
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken thighs or breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10.25 ounce bag of Fritos chips
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 head of lettuce chopped, for topping
- 1 roma tomato chopped, for topping
- In a medium skillet heat 2 tablespoons of oil, . Add cubed chicken, season with salt and pepper. Cook until the sides are golden brown and chicken is completely cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl mix together enchilada sauce, sour cream, cream of chicken, cumin, chili powder, 3/4 cup Mexican blend cheese, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, and chicken. Stir together until well combined.
- In a 1 quart casserole dish, pour Frito chips in the bottom, add chicken mixture on top of the chips, and then sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until warm and bubbly and cheese is melted on top.