Looking for an easy and delicious breakfast casserole that will get your day started right? This Easy Breakfast Casserole is perfect!
Made with eggs, green chiles, and lots of cheese, it’s simple to make and always a hit with family and friends. Plus, it reheats well so that you can enjoy it all week long!
This recipe is from my sister, Tami. She got it from her mother-in-law, and now that they have shared this easy casserole, it has become a family staple. You can do so much with this by adding or taking away ingredients, but I believe the original is best!
If you’re short on time, this 5-minute dish is perfect for a warm breakfast. You can throw it in the oven and have it ready to go without letting it sit overnight. This is also a great dish to serve at brunches or when you have company. My sister Tami loves baking (on occasion), but she always makes time for effortless recipes like this one (or her crowd-favorite peanut butter pie, quiche, or queso).
This Easy Breakfast Casserole is perfect for those mornings when you don’t have time to wait for breakfast. The prep only takes 5 minutes to have a delicious and nutritious meal on the table in no time!
Why my sister and I love this casserole:
- Easy to make
- Simple ingredients
- You can easily mix in other ingredients to make other variations
- It makes a delicious breakfast for busy weekends or Thanksgiving or Christmas morning
- Full of flavor
- No prep the night before
- It comes out perfect every time
Ingredients needed for this recipe:
- 12 eggs
- All-purpose flour
- Green chiles
- Cottage cheese small curd 1-2%
- Shredded cheese
This recipe is fantastic because it can be tailored to your family’s preferences. If you have meat lovers in the house, cook up some bacon or sausage and add it before baking; alternatively, if anyone in your family doesn’t eat meat, substitute bell peppers, mushrooms, or onions.
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Bacon, cooked & chopped
- Fresh green or red peppers
- Cooked Bacon
- Cooked Mushrooms
How do you make this recipe for an Easy Breakfast Casserole?
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare a 9×13 baking pan by buttering down all sides and the bottom of the pan or spray with cooking oil (my preference); set aside.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs until combined. Then add the melted butter, flour, green chilies, cottage cheese, and Monterrey jack cheese. Stir until well combined.
Pour the batter into a prepared pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then, without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for another 30-35 minutes.
Let the dish sit for 3-5 minutes to cool down before you serve or add any toppings. Enjoy!
What to serve with breakfast casseroles
This casserole is great on its own, but if you’re looking for some side dish ideas, I’ve got you covered! Here are some suggestions of what to serve with this casserole during the holiday season.
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- Coffee Cake or Gluten-Free Coffee Cake
- Best Ever Zucchini Bread
- Make toast with Homemade Bread
- Lemon Poppy Seed Fruit Salad or Kiwi Berry Fruit Salad
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Other breakfast casserole recipes we love
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Easy Breakfast Casserole
- 12 eggs whisked
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4-8 ounces green chiles
- 16 ounces cottage cheese small curd 1-2%
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups Monterrey jack cheese shredded
- fresh diced tomatoes
- sour cream
- chopped green or red peppers
- ham or sausage
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking pan by buttering down all sides and the bottom of the pan or spray with cooking oil (my preference); set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until combined. Then add the melted butter, flour, green chilies, cottage cheese, and Monterrey jack cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then, without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 350 and bake for another 30-35 minutes.
- Let the dish sit for 3-5 minutes to cool down before you serve or add any toppings. Enjoy!