Fresh Mexican Spring Rolls are a healthy twist to a burrito, with peppers, cilantro, avocado, lettuce, grilled chicken, & Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing.
I love coming up with ways to enjoy our favorite flavors in a new and lightened-up way. These Mexican spring rolls are just that – all of the best parts of a burrito but served up in rice wrappers. They are colorful, flavorful, and easy to make.
Lately, my family has been trying to make healthier eating choices without sacrificing flavor or giving up some of our favorite meals. This includes Mexican food! We literally eat Mexican food a minimum of twice a week. I mean Mexican food is so easy, delicious and everyone can add their own flair but sometimes it gets a little heavy, so that’s why I came up with this recipe I’m sharing today.
These Fresh Mexican Spring Rolls take my favorite meal and make it healthier. Cutting out the cheese and tortilla, gasp! I know. It’s all good though! They’re so flavorful you won’t miss the cheese and all the carbs. Of course, you need a wonderful dipping sauce to go with spring rolls so don’t skip the easy cilantro-avocado dressing. It’s the finishing touch!
I’m sharing how to make these easy rolls with our favorite burrito ingredients, but what’s great is that you can make your own variations to give them your own spin.
Ingredients for the Spring Rolls
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chipotle seasoning (I love Weber Bold Chipotle)
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced bell peppers
- Bibb lettuce
- Diced jalapeno
- Sliced avocado
- Rice paper wraps
You can also add black beans, corn, or any other veggie that you like!
How do you make Spring Rolls?
Gather and prep the ingredients and line them up.
For the wrappers, you will need to dip them in water so they will soften up. I soak them a few at a time; otherwise, if they sit out too long, they will dry up again.
In the center of the wrap, place one lettuce leaf, add your other veggies, and then top with cooked protein.
Roll up the wrapper tightly. To easily do this, gently pull up the bottom of the roll and roll over the filling. Then, roll the rest of the wrap over it, tucking in the filling as you go just like you do a burrito. Make sure it is tightly wrapped, though, so it is easier to eat and keeps all of the ingredients from falling out when you take a bite.
Repeat with remaining ingredients. Place on a serving plate cut the rolls in half, and serve with a dipping sauce or two.
How to Make Cilantro-Avocado Dipping Sauce
The spring rolls are delicious, but the avocado dipping sauce takes them over the top. I encourage you to try it – it is delicious. Use it for these rolls and save the leftovers as a salad dressing. All you do is blend the following ingredients until smooth:
- Fresh lime juice
- Olive oil
- Coconut Greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
Get the full recipe here, along with recipe measurements and tips!
How Long Do Spring Rolls Last?
I think these Mexican spring rolls taste best the day they’re made, but any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for two to three days. To keep the rolls from sticking together, wrap them in plastic wrap. This will also keep them from drying out.
The dipping sauce can be made ahead of time and will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days. Just keep it in an airtight container and give it a good stir before serving.
- You can skip the chicken and wrap up the veggies and beans for a vegetarian option.
- If you don’t like a lot of heat, omit the jalapeno pepper or switch it out for a mild diced poblano pepper.
- Add vegetables like sweet corn, onions, or some pico de gallo.
- You can also use these same ingredients but serve them as a burrito bowl instead of wrapping them. Add some rice and drizzle the dressing over the top of the bowl to serve.
I was a bit nervous about feeding this to my family, but they loved it! LOVED! Even my husband is anti-vegetables. He couldn’t believe how good they were and full of flavor. The Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing ties the entire meal together. I am adding a sweet & tangy appeal that gives the spring roll that kicks.
If you want another fun twist on spring rolls you have to try my Barbecue Chicken Spring Rolls, too. Enjoy! XOXO San
More Delicious Summer Dinner Recipes to Try
Pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Fresh Mexican Spring Rolls Recipe
- 1 lb. chicken breasts approximately 3 chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle seasoning I used Weber Bold Chipotle seasoning
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 head bib lettuce
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 avocado halved and sliced
- 10-12 rice Spring Rolls Skins/Wraps aka rice paper
Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup coconut Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 jalapeno seeds & stem removed
- 1 garlic
- 1 1/4 cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat grill and season chicken with your choice of seasoning, I used the Weber Bold Chipotle.
- Add the chicken to the grill, grill about 6-7 minutes on each side or until juices are running clear and chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove chicken from grill, set aside to cool.
- Chop up other ingredients and set them aside.
- Slice or chop chicken and set in a bowl.
- Prepare rolls. Using a dinner sized plate, fill with water. Dip both side of the Spring Rolls Skins in the water, moderately soaking, I press it down in the water. Remove from water and set on counter, it may take a minute or two to soften up.
- In the center of the wrap, place one lettuce leaf, 2 red pepper slices, 2 yellow pepper slices, about 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, diced jalapeno and about 1/4 of a cup of chicken.
- Roll up the wrapper tightly. To easily do this gently pull up the bottom of the roll and roll over the filling. Then, roll the rest of the wrap over it, tucking in the filling as you go. Just like you do a burrito. Make sure it is tightly wrapped though, makes it easier to eat and keeps all of the ingredients from falling out when you take a bite.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. Place on serving plate, cut the rolls in half and top with left over cilantro and tomatoes if you would like. Serve with Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing, recipe below.
- Serve immediately or place in the refrigerator until ready to do so.
Creamy Cilantro Avocado Dressing
- Blend all of the ingredients for the dressing in a blender until smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use. It will last 3 days refrigerated.