This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Safeway. All opinions are 100% mine.
Mexican Corn Salad is a celebration of summer produce with fresh corn, tomatoes, cilantro, and a creamy sour cream dressing. Serve this bright and fresh dish as a dip, side dish, or wrap it up in tortillas for a delicious dinner.
I love supporting our local farms and buying all of their amazing vegetables to use in easy summer dishes like this Mexican Corn Salad.
Local produce tastes so much better and it feels great to support farms in our own community. It’s just one of the many reasons we love to shop at Safeway – we can pick up all of our favorite veggies that are grown right here in Colorado.
Mexican Salad with Corn from Petrocco Farms
There’s nothing my family loves more than fresh corn on the cob. As soon as we spy the display of Petrocco Farms corn at the store we load up on it every week. One of my favorite ways to use it is in this easy Mexican corn salad.
I love this recipe because you can serve the salad warm or make it ahead and enjoy it cold from the refrigerator. It’s great for potlucks and BBQs as a side dish or dip, but we also love to pile it in warm tortillas for an easy taco dinner.
We Love our Rocky Ford Watermelon and Cantaloupe
We also never miss an opportunity to stock up on local fruit and we love fresh watermelon and cantaloupe from Rocky Ford right here in Colorado. We look forward to it every summer!
We don’t have to go far to find it – we check the free Safeway app for deals on in-season produce and then stop by to pick up our favorites. You can sign up to get just for U® deals and rewards so you can save every time you shop.
I also love our special produce bag that keeps everything nice and safe during the car ride home. With this sturdy bag, I don’t worry about produce getting bruised or damaged between the store and the house.
Sometimes I come up with my own recipes, like this corn salad recipe, but there are tons of recipe ideas to browse on the Safeway website, too. They definitely have you covered.
Light and fresh Mexican corn salad with slices of summer-fresh watermelon and cantaloupe for dessert is the perfect way to enjoy a summer night. Knowing we bought the fruit and vegetables from local farms is such a source of pride for us and Safeway makes it so easy.
How to Make the Salad
This salad gets rave reviews from my kids – they love to scoop it up with tortilla chips. Even my husband, who supposedly hates corn, loves it and that says a lot! I love it when I can get him to taste and enjoy a dish he otherwise might not try.
There’s a lot to love about it, too. It’s a combination of fresh grilled corn with other vegetables all tied together in a creamy lime and chili dressing.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make it:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Chili powder
- Sea salt
- Lime juice
- Sour cream
First, grill the corn on the cob until it’s lightly charred on all sides.
Once it’s cooled, remove the kernels and mix it with all of the other ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
You can serve it right away or store it in the refrigerator for later. It will keep for several days in an airtight container.
It’s such a simple recipe, which allows all of the flavors from the produce to really shine. It’s such a wonderful way to showcase fresh corn. Sometimes I omit the sour cream and it’s just as delicious.
Ideas for Serving Mexican Corn Salad
This is such a versatile dish and will fit in no matter the occasion. Here are different ways we’ve served it and it’s always a hit.
- Serve it just as it is with a pile of tortilla chips for scooping.
- Pile it in warm flour or corn tortillas for vegetarian tacos. Add your favorite toppings like lettuce, queso fresco, and salsa.
- It’s delicious as a side dish for grilled meats like steak, chicken and pork.
- Toss it with crisp greens like romaine, iceberg, or spinach for a delicious main course salad.
- Pair it with fajitas, taquitos, or your other favorite Mexican-style main dishes.
I shop at my local Safeway, but you can also find Rocky Ford watermelon and cantaloupe along with Petrocco Farms corn at the Albertsons Companies family of stores, including Albertsons, ACME Markets, Jewel-Osco, Vons, Randalls, Shaw’s Supermarket, Star Market and Tom Thumb.
I hope you treat yourself to some farm-fresh produce – Safeway makes it so easy to support your local farms. Follow them on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and take advantage of their Grocery Delivery or Drive Up & Go™ service to make shopping even more convenient.
Here’s to summer and delicious local produce at Safeway. I hope you love this Mexican corn salad as much as we do. Enjoy! XOXO San
Don’t forget to pin this Mexican Corn Salad recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Mexican Corn Salad
- 6 ears corn on the cob about 5-6 cups of kernels
- 4 cups red cherry tomatoes quartered
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion about 1/2 of a medium onion
- 3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco, plus 1/4 cup for topping (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 jalapeno finely chopped, seeds and ribs removed (optional)
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro plus 1/4 cup for topping (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Preheat grill to high heat. Lightly coat the ears of corn with canola oil or canola cooking spray Cook them on the grill until the slightly charred on all sides, this will take 10-12 minutes depending on the heat of your grill. Rotate the corn every 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the corn to cool. Meanwhile, combine red onion, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, taco seasoning, salt, jalapeno (if using) in a medium mixing bowl.
- Once the corn is cool, remove kernels from the cob and add them to the mixing bowl, Toss all of the ingredients together. Next, add in the queso fresco cheese and toss to combine. Then stir in the sour cream until combined.
- You can serve the salad right away or keep it covered in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it. Just before serving, garnish it with the extra chopped cilantro and cheese. Serve it as a dip or as a taco filling. It's also delicious as a side dish for your favorite grilled meats or Mexican dishes.
Don’t Forget to Pin It!