This Blue Ribbon Chili is your classic, hearty chili filled with beef, two types of beans, and lots of seasonings. This recipe truly is a winner.
This recipe is a winner, hands down best chili recipe ever! Well, it’s a winner for everyone in the house except my husband, Jake, who swears he is “allergic” to beans. Meaning he hates any type of legume. The only time this recipe got a red ribbon instead of a blue was when I went up against my husband last year in a chili cook-off, I have my reasons why he won. I mean come on, is it really chili if it doesn’t have beans?
Enjoy! XOXO San
How do you make Blue Ribbon Chili?
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and sauté for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.
Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix, and kidney beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour.
For a slow cooker recipe, add all ingredients in your slow cooker on low and let it cook for 6 hours or all day for more flavor.
My favorite kitchen tools used to make Blue Ribbon Chili:
This post may contain affiliate links. See my Full Disclosure for further details.
MEASURING CUPS: Nothing beats a good set of measuring cups that last a long time. I love metal measuring cups because of their durability.
MEASURING SPOONS: I have to have a metal set of measuring spoons on hand. The plastic ones just don’t last long in our house thanks in large part to the garbage disposal.
SAUCEPAN: I am a total snob after having an assortment of pots in our cupboard over the years. After getting some Calphalon pots on sale at my local grocer, I won’t try anything else. They are affordable and durable – a win, win in our home
Fantastic to serve with Whole Wheat Cornbread.
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Blue Ribbon Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 1/2 tablespoons chili seasoning mix
- 15 ounce can light red kidney beans
- 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and sauté for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain grease, if desired.
- Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix, and kidney beans. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least an hour. Another way to cook this, at step 2 when adding the rest of the ingredients do this in a slower cooker and let it sit on low all day until you are ready to eat.
Kid’s reviews: They all love chili, thank goodness they didn’t take after their Dad!