Scotcheroos Muddy Buddies combine the flavors of a no-bake cereal bar with an addictive sweet and crunchy snack mix!
This muddy buddies recipe is what happens when you take the best of scotcheroos and turn them into a snack mix you can eat by the handful. It’s fast, easy, and will cure your sweet tooth!
Sometimes I get the best ideas when I have to adapt and these scotcheroos muddy buddies are the perfect example! This recipe started with a serious craving for scotcheroos, one of my favorite treats, but ended up as a new muddy buddies recipe.
I haven’t shared my scotcheroos recipe, so I had a plan to make them. But when I got to the store there were no Rice Krispies to be found. Even the organic ones were sold out!
Standing in the cereal aisle my craving only got worse until my eyes landed on a box of Rice Chex cereal. Aha! I knew exactly what to do.
Scotcheroos & Muddy Buddies in One Snack
Instead of going home empty-handed, I came up with this recipe on the fly. I love muddy buddies and scotcheroos, so why not combine them? And that, my friends, is how this recipe was born.
- I borrowed the butterscotch, peanut butter, and chocolate from the scotcheroos.
- Instead of making rice cereal bars, I used Rice Chex to convert them into muddy buddies.
- Add some powdered sugar, toss them all together and you get an incredibly delish sweet snack mix that’s even easier to make than my scotcheroos.
This recipe comes with a warning, though: it’s hard to stop at one handful! When I make a batch, I always plan to give some away otherwise it disappears too fast at our house.
- Butterscotch chips
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Creamy peanut butter
- Salted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Rice Chex
- Powdered sugar
Pour the cereal into an extra large bowl and set it aside.
Combine the butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave them on high for one minute, stir, and warm them for 30 seconds longer. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of cereal. Stir until the cereal is evenly coated and then pour the coated cereal into a resealable bag.
Add the powdered sugar to the bag, seal it, and toss to coat the cereal evenly. Store the muddy buddies in an airtight container at room temperature.
What can you add to muddy buddies?
I like to keep them simple, but it’s easy to add other mix-ins to change up this recipe. After you coat the cereal in powdered sugar, try some of these add-ins:
- Mini marshmallows
- Chopped pretzels
- Chopped peanuts, walnuts, or pecans
- Add some sprinkles for color
- Mini chocolate chips or white chocolate chips
Needless to say, this scotcheroos muddy buddies recipe was a huge hit at our house. No one could resist a handful (or two or three…) of this yummy treat! Make a batch soon – you won’t regret it! XOXO San
More Sweet & Salty Snack Recipes
- Rice Krispies Treats
- Caramel Chex Mix
- Cinnamon Dulce Marshmallow Cereal Treats
- Chocolate Churro Puppy Chow
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Scotcheroos Muddy Buddies
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces Rice Chex 1 box
- 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pour Rice Chex into an extra large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
- Microwave for 1 minute on high. Stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture onto the Chex and stir until cereal is evenly coated. Pour into a resealable bag or keep in the bowl.
- Add powdered sugar and shake in the bag or toss with your hands to coat the Chex completely. Add more powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time if needed. Enjoy!