Who doesn’t love Rice Krispie Treats? Gooey marshmallows with crispy cereal is a quick and easy no-bake dessert bar.
This is a Noodles & Company copycat rice krispie treats recipe that my daughters developed. Now that they know how to make them at home there’s no need to buy them already made. We can’t get enough of these sweet treats.
With more time at home, my kids have definitely been missing some of their favorite treats from restaurants. Topping that list? The rice krispie treats from Noodles & Company. I have to admit we’re all a little obsessed with those chewy, sweet bars – it didn’t take much to convince me to stop and pick a few up when we were out and about.
I love to create copycat recipes like our favorite Starbuck’s chewy chocolate cookies and homemade tagalongs. In this case, the girls get all the credit – since we’re sticking close to home these days Jordan and Jersey took it upon themselves to recreate their favorite treat.
It was quite a sight to watch them huddle together in the kitchen, testing and retesting until they got the recipe just right. And I’m proud to say they’ve nailed it – these rice krispie treats really do taste like the ones from Noodles & Company.
Here is Jersey showing you just how perfect these bars are – soft and a little sticky with just the right balance of butter and marshmallow.
What We Love about this Recipe
- You only need three ingredients to make them.
- Salted butter makes all the difference – that touch of salt is subtle but it enhances the flavor of these bars.
- Instead of completely melting the marshmallows, we leave it a little lumpy. That creates pockets of ooey-gooeyness in the bars.
- With parent supervision, this is a recipe the kids can make themselves.
- The recipe makes a reasonable-sized batch, about nine dessert bars.
My heart was bursting when the girls finally settled on their final recipe after several weeks of experimenting and now they are so excited to share it with you.
How to Make the Best Rice Krispie Treats
What I love about this recipe is the simplicity. You only need three ingredients and they are ones kids can easily measure out themselves:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 12 ounces marshmallows (either mini or regular ones will work)
Be sure to butter your 8×8″ baking pan with butter. This will ensure the bars don’t stick.
For this recipe, we prefer to melt the butter and marshmallows on the stove (some recipes use the microwave). That way, you can keep a close eye on the mixture.
You want to melt the marshmallows just long enough that they still have some lumps – you don’t want the mixture completely melted and smooth. Those partially melted marshmallows are what make the bars so special – when you pull them apart you get all the ooey-gooey marshmallow pulls.
Once you have your marshmallow and butter mixture you can add the cereal. Work quickly to evenly coat the cereal – it will be sticky and the marshmallow will start to set up as you’re mixing.
Press the mixture into your prepared baking dish using a buttered spatula or a sheet of wax paper – it makes it much easier to get it all into the pan. Cool the bars and then slice and serve.
Tips for Storing Them
If you can resist eating them all in one sitting (something our family finds hard to do) you can store them for later. Follow these tips so they stay fresh and delicious:
- To keep the bars from sticking to each other separate each with wax paper. This is helpful if you stack them in a container.
- Be sure to use an airtight container. If the bars are exposed to air they will harden and dry out.
- They will keep well for up to three days at room temperature.
There’s a lot of love in this recipe – the girls worked so hard to make this rice krispie treats recipe perfect for you. They’ve already decided there’s no reason to buy them premade again – they’re so easy you can easily make a batch whenever you want. We hope you love them as much as we do! XOXO San
More Dessert Recipes
- Tagalong Brownies
- Best Ever Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Whoopie Pies
- Chocolate Churro Muddy Buddies
Don’t forget to pin these Rice Krispie Treats to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons salted butter plus extra for the pan
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 12 ounces marshmallows (mini or regular-sized)
- Butter an 8x8" baking pan.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until almost melted. Leave a few marshmallows not all the way melted, you will want some lumps, this allows for the gooey pulls.
- Remove the pot from heat and quickly stir in cereal until cereal is well coated.
- Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 8x8 cook baking pan. Cool then cut into 3x3 rows making 9 treats total.