Homemade Rice Krispies Treats with a lemon twist! These sweet marshmallow cereal bars will be the hit of the summer.
I love all things lemon and so it was only a matter of time before I made Lemon Rice Krispies Treats! Long story, short: combining classic rice krispies treats with lemon is amazing.
We love rice krispie bars all year, but especially during the summer. They are the best no-bake dessert for all the summer events – I make them on repeat for potlucks, BBQs, and camping trips. I love the originals, but this lemon version has won my heart.
This isn’t my only variation on the classic – coming up with new flavors is one of my favorite things. So, I’m happy to add these lemon rice krispie treats to my roster of other favorites like churro treats, cinnamon dulce rice krispies treats, and my white chocolate ones.
If you love citrus like I do, you need to give these a try. You only need five ingredients and they’re so simple to make – just like a rice krispie treat should be!
- Salted butter – if you use unsalted butter, you will want to add 1/2 teaspoon of salt when you melt the butter.
- Marshmallows – large or mini marshmallows.
- Lemon extract – this adds that wonderful punch of lemon flavor!
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Lemon zest – for a final citrus pop.
Butter an 8×8″ baking pan.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and extract. Stir until the marshmallows are almost melted – try to leave a few intact so your treats are extra gooey.
Take the pan off the heat and stir in the cereal and lemon zest right away.
Press the cereal marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan.
Allow the mixture to cool before slicing and serving.
How long do rice krispie treats keep?
Once you’ve sliced the bars, store them in an airtight container. I like to stack them with wax paper to keep them from sticking to each other. They will keep for three days at room temperature.
Can you freeze them?
Yes, they do freeze well! I think it works best to individually wrap the treats in plastic wrap. Place them all in a freezer container or bag and they will keep well in the freezer for up to three months.
Tips for the Best Treats
For the best rice krispie treats be sure to use fresh marshmallows. Even ones that are a little stale will make your treats crispy and hard instead of soft.
Love ooey-gooey treats? Don’t melt the marshmallows all the way. I like to melt them until they are almost smooth, but with some lumps of unmelted marshmallows. That’s how you get those gooey marshmallow pulls when you pull apart a treat!
Be sure to use lemon extract, not lemon juice. Extract has a concentrated flavor so you don’t have to use very much. It’s worth stocking in your pantry if you love to use lemon flavor in recipes.
Lemon, gooey marshmallow, and crispy cereal – this is the best combination for a rice krispie treat! Make this lemon rice krispies treats recipe soon and I know you’ll love it, too – Enjoy! XOXO San
More Favorite Lemon Desserts
Don’t forget to pin this for later to your favorite Pinterest Board!
Lemon Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons salted butter plus extra for the pan
- 12 ounces marshmallows (mini or regular-sized)
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Butter an 8×8" baking pan.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and lemon extract and stir until almost melted. Leave a few marshmallows not all the way melted, you will want some lumps, this allows for the gooey pulls.
- Remove the pot from heat and quickly stir in cereal and lemon zest until cereal is well coated.
- Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 8×8" baking pan. Cool then cut into 3×3 rows making 9 treats total, or 4×4 rows for 16 smaller treats.