Ice cream is a favorite
summer treat. This easy no-churn ice cream loaded with dark chocolate and fresh cherries is my take on Cherry Garcia ice cream.
Fresh cherries and chocolate are a delicious way to dress up ice cream and adding a slice of cake make it a perfect summer dessert.
With summer upon us I couldn’t wait to use Fresh California Grown Cherries in the dessert I planned to make. Cherries are in season for such a short time and I always buy loads of them because it is the highest quality when it is in season.
I planned to make the ice cream from scratch – it’s an easy no-churn recipe like my cookies & cream Nutella ice cream.
Homemade Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
I absolutely love making no-churn ice cream during the summer. It’s so much easier than using a machine. It’s rich, creamy, and just as good as premium ice cream from a shop.
Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Ice Cream is one of my family’s favorites, but when you make it homemade you can add in as many chopped cherries and chocolate as you want. Sometimes we add a fudge swirl, too, using my homemade hot fudge sauce.
How to Make No-Churn Ice Cream
To make the base, all you do is puree heavy cream, chocolate milk, sugar, a little salt, and vanilla until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
Place the blender in the refrigerator until the mixture is chilled. Transfer it to the freezer for 45 minutes. Remove it from the freezer and blend the mixture for 15 to 20 seconds. Pour it into a serving container, cover the container, and place it in the freezer for 45 minutes.
For the add ins, I just chop fresh cherries and dark chocolate. I like to pop them in the freezer so they’re nice and cold when I add them to the base.
Remove the ice cream mixture from the freezer and whisk it. Add the chocolate and cherries and gently fold them into the base. Freeze for 45 minutes, whisk the mixture again, and then cover and freeze the ice cream until it’s firm and set.
I hope you treat yourself to some fresh cherries this summer! This recipe is one of my favorite ways to use them.
Enjoy! XOXO San
More Summer Desserts
Don’t forget to pin this to your favorite Pinterest board to save for later!
Copycat Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chocolate whole milk regular whole milk will work, too
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup fresh California Cherries stems removed, pitted and coarsley chopped
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate (or milk chocolate or semi-sweet) finely chopped
- In a small bowl, mix the chopped cherries and chocolate together. Cover the bowl and place them in the freezer until ready to use.
- In a blender, puree the cream, chocolate milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla until creamy and smooth.
- Put the blender in the fridge until chilled. Once chilled, place in the freezer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and blend for 15-20 seconds. Pour into the serving dish, cover, and place back in the freezer for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and whisk. Add the frozen chocolate and cherry mixture and gently mix in. Place back in the freezer for another 45 minutes. Repeat the process one to two more times, I usually just do once. Cover and leave in the freezer until completely set and ready to serve.
- This ice cream will melt faster than your typical store-bought ice cream. Serve immediately when taken out of the freezer.