This Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Cake is one of our family favorites. Easy to make with 4-ingredients and insanely delicious, Oreos just got even better.
A twist on my mom’s most requested dessert. This Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Cake will soon become apart of your party traditions too.
I grew up with my mom making Oreo Ice Cream Cake for every one of our birthdays, for as long as I can remember. There really wasn’t another cake that competed in the opinion of my 4-siblings and I. This oreo ice cream cake tradition didn’t stop as my siblings and I grew up and moved out of the house. Once we started having kids and the kids were old enough to request their birthday cake, many started to make the same request I did as a kid.
My son, Madden who turned 11 last weekend has always had a deep love and devotion to Oreo Ice Cream Cake. He has been unwavering in his request since the age of 4. This year with friends and family coming over, I knew that I would need to double the infamous ice cream cake. Instead, I asked Madden if I could make two, one chocolate and one vanilla. Thankfully he was on board.
Now, I need to explain a few things. One this hot fudge sauce! It is literally the Best Ever Hot Fudge Sauce you will ever, ever have. Ever! And while my mom didn’t include this in her recipe while I was growing up, ever since I started doing it – everyone else has too.
Secondly, the Oreo crust on the bottom was also something I added when I started making this ice cream cake in a springform pan. It just presented nicer and well serving it was easier too with a crust.
These two changes are necessary but simply delicious.
Really adding hot fudge sauce to anything makes it more delicious. And who would have thought that with Oreos? I mean Oreos are pretty amazing, so to elevate them to another level – well, it can be done, friends.
I’m all about ice cream cakes for the pure reason that they are easy! Well most of them are anyway. The only thing that can be dangerous about ice cream cakes, well besides eating them. You need to make sure they are in the freezer on a flat surface, otherwise, you will have a sloped cake and I am giving you this tip based on experience.
This cake is easy and delicious. So friends, if you can have your cake and eat it too – why not? I can’t wait for you to make this Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Cake.
And Happy Birthday to my sweet boy, Madden. I love you and so excited to continue to celebrate you every day throughout your life. XOXO Mom
Enjoy friends. XOXO San
Don’t forget to pin these Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Cake to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 14.3 ounces Oreos an entire package, roughly crushed
- 2 cups Oreos finely crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Hot Fudge Sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix together butter and finely crushed Oreos. Press into the bottom of 9x13 pan or 12-inch springform pan; set aside.
- Mix together ice cream, Cool Whip and roughly crushed Oreos until well combined.
- Add Oreo ice cream mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly over Oreo crust. Cover ice cream cake with parchment paper and place in the freezer 3-4 hours.
- Once completely frozen, slice and serve.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract into a large mixing bowl, and whisk using a large balloon whisk. I used my KitchenAid mixer and whisked on high approximately for 3–5 minutes, until the cream reaches the soft peak stage. If I did this by hand it would take me a little longer that 3 minutes that is for sure.
- You can test for soft peaks by lifting the whisk straight out of the bowl and checking to see if the peak falls if it does, whisk for a bit longer. I like my peaks a little stiffer than soft so I have tendency to mix it for a minute longer, I like this before I like the look on pies and cakes. If I were to make it for hot chocolate I would do softer peaks.
Hot Fudge Sauce
- Full directions here Best Ever Hot Fudge Sauce.