This easy skillet chicken has fresh Mediterranean flavors with tomatoes, herbs, balsamic vinegar, olives, and creamy crumbled feta cheese. It’s easy and delicious!
Make this Mediterranean chicken for dinner and save the leftovers because it’s even better the next day! I love this meal – full of fresh flavors and good-for-you veggies and chicken. It’s satisfying but light.
Lately, I’ve been creating recipes that are great leftover, so I have easy lunches. I’ve been counting macros, and meals like this Mediterranean chicken is great for dinner and keeps me from hitting the drive-through at lunchtime the next day!
This chicken dinner is a medley of deliciousness: tender chicken, colorful bell peppers, juicy tomatoes, and a combination of dried and fresh herbs that really bring the Mediterranean and theme home. Of course, I add a sprinkle of feta cheese for serving. It’s the perfect finishing touch.
If you’re craving light and flavorful meals, this Mediterranean chicken skillet needs to be in your weekly meal plan. Nothing complicated here, friends – it’s a one-pan recipe and an easy weeknight dinner recipe.
- Olive oil
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Sliced red onion
- Quartered mini sweet peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Dried oregano
- Dried tarragon
- Black pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Crumbled feta cheese for topping
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Sliced Kalamata olives
How to Make It
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet that is oven safe (I use cast iron) over high heat on the stove.
Place the chicken thighs, tomatoes, onion, and peppers in a large bowl. Add all of the dried seasonings, vinegar, lemon juice, and some olive oil. Toss the chicken in the seasonings until evenly coated.
Place the seasoned chicken in a single layer in the hot skillet. Carefully transfer the skillet to the preheated oven.
Bake the chicken and vegetables for 30 to 35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked to 165°F.
Sprinkle the cheese, parsley, and olives over the top for serving.
Side Dish Ideas
I enjoy this meal just as it is, but you can add a side if you want to stretch it further or make it more filling.
- Pile that delicious chicken and veggies over cooked orzo or other pasta shape that you like.
- Add some cooked brown rice, cauliflower rice, or quinoa on the side.
- A hunk of warm crusty bread would be wonderful, too!
What I love about this dish is that you can easily add or take away ingredients based on what you have on hand.
Chicken: I like thighs because they’re juicy and full of flavor. You can use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you may need to adjust the cooking time.
Peppers: Instead of mini sweet peppers, feel free to use sliced red bell peppers or green, yellow, or orange ones. Use a mix to make the dish colorful.
Other Add-Ins: I think artichoke hearts, sliced zucchini, and capers would work beautifully, too. If you like a little spice, add some red pepper flakes for some heat.
Save Those Leftovers
This Mediterranean skillet dinner is even better a day after it’s made. The flavors are even more developed when it has a chance to chill in the refrigerator.
I store the leftovers in meal prep containers – it’s super easy to warm one up in the microwave for lunch. Sometimes I prep this recipe on Sunday, portion it out, and enjoy it for several days.
I love simple recipes that pack tons of flavor. This Mediterranean chicken recipe does just that. Easy, full of flavor, and the perfect way to treat yourself when you’re craving something healthy, light, and delicious. Enjoy! XOXO San
More Easy Recipes
- Italian Margherita Sauce
- Greek Chicken Taquitos
- One Pot Cheesy Pasta
- Slow Cooker Tuscan Tortellini Soup
Don’t forget to pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Skillet Mediterranean Chicken
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (8 chicken thighs)
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 12 mini sweet peppers quartered, seeds removed
- 12 ounces cherub tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese for topping
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a cast iron or other oven-safe skillet on high heat.
- In a large bowl, add chicken thighs, tomatoes, onion, and sliced peppers. Toss with seasonings, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add to the heated skillet, making sure chicken is spread out in a single layer.
- Place pan in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the chicken reaches 165°F internally.
- Top with crumbled feta, chopped parsley, and optionally sliced kalamata olives. Serve and enjoy!